Using the SU800 with the Z7/Z6

Has anyone tried this combination? I'm usually a Pocketwizard guy but thought I would experiment with using the SU800 on my Z7 to fire a SB500 off camera. I was finally able to get the flash to fire by setting the channel on the SU800 to 3 and selecing A or B on the SB500. However, 'Flash Control' on the Z7 continues to be greyed out. When I push the right arrow key on the OK selector I get the following message 'This option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state.' Any idea what setting may be causing Flash Control to not be available?

If you were to use the sb-500 as your "commander" then you would have the flash control available to you. The su-800 is not compatible with the Flash Control in the Z6/7.

I use my sb-800 to control two sb-910 in a 3 flash setup with the sb-800 on a Lastolite off-camera cord. The sb-800 needs to be positioned so that easy access is available to control all three channels/groups.

Inconvenient but it works.

Tom Hogan says in his "Complete Guide to the Nikon Z6 & Z7" (2. Edition FW2):
The SU-800 is incompatible with the Z6 and Z7 and cannot be used to trigger wireless remote flashes.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Thom Hogan can write that. I actually did it. And it works. I can fire my SB-800 units with the SU-800 on my Z7. You have to adjust the flash output using the SU-800. You cannot make adjustments in the Z6/Z7 bodies because they don't have the Nikon CLS built into them that older bodies have.

Yes, if the sb-800 can be used then the su-800 will also work. What is missing is the in-camera flash and in-camera cls control. The sb-800 is a great unit to use on or off camera and can be used as an su-800 and combined main flash in a multiple flash setup.

Thom Hogan can write that. I actually did it. And it works. I can fire my SB-800 units with the SU-800 on my Z7. You have to adjust the flash output using the SU-800. You cannot make adjustments in the Z6/Z7 bodies because they don't have the Nikon CLS built into them that older bodies have.
Thanks Walter. As I mentioned above I was able to to get the flash to fire by selecting the Channel A (or B) on the SB500 and changing the channel to 3 on the SU800. Did you have to make similar changes to the SU800 in order to fire the SB800s?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Thanks Walter. As I mentioned above I was able to to get the flash to fire by selecting the Channel A (or B) on the SB500 and changing the channel to 3 on the SU800. Did you have to make similar changes to the SU800 in order to fire the SB800s?
I certainly had to set the SU-800 and SB-800s to use the same channel, but that is expected whether you do it from a camera menu or from the SU-800 itself. The primary difference is no CLS inside the Nikon Z menus so you have to make all your flash settings on the SU-800 itself. Other than that I find no issues or limitations.

Latest threads

Top Bottom