1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Using VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jamesf01, Apr 19, 2007.

1. jamesf01

jamesf01

Feb 20, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I just received my new lens 70 to 200 VR and have a few questions from your expertise using this great lens . 1. When using The VR hand held what do you set it at Normal or Active ? The instructions are not clear as I read them ( It say when taking pitchers- set either normal or active). 2. When mounted on a tripod which one do you use normal or active ?? Thank you for the information Jim

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Set it to 'Normal' when using handheld or with a monopod but switch the VR off if you will be using a tripod. If you are in a moving vehicle, boat, etc. set the switch to 'Active'. Thats all there is to using the VR function.

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Handheld - Normal
    In a moving vehicle - Active
    Tripod - Off

I'm really impressed how well it works in Active mode in a moving vehicle. I just tried it at Disney's Animal Kingdom on the safari ride and kept grinning while this thing kept pulling in the shots while on the move.

460727000_f73edbe596_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. When taking pitchers (particularly more than one), you definitely want to use the active mode... to counterbalance the shaking that may result from that much drinking! :eek: :tongue::biggrin:

When taking pictures, normal is for most of the time, active is for shooting from a moving vehicle (or while on a boat). And, don't forget to turn VR off when using the lens on a tripod! In other words, listen to the others in this thread... :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.