Using Z-cameras on Safari

It was interesting, and I'm glad to see solid reports of performance in conditions like that coupled with user reports like we see here at the Cafe.

I'm currently waiting to see if there's any confirmation Nikon will do a 24-85/4S or 24-120/4S. Most likely my Z6 will replace my Fuji stuff for everything but dedicated landscape and astro (will keep some Pentax gear for that).

Real Name
Ian
Nikon may be the masters of demonstrating how NOT to market a product.

Many independent owners have shown the camera system’s abilities time and time again, yet Nikon seems to be fairly hush on the Z system (IMO). I just don’t get it...

Fantastic images, thanks for sharing the article link.

Nikon may be the masters of demonstrating how NOT to market a product.

Many independent owners have shown the camera system’s abilities time and time again, yet Nikon seems to be fairly hush on the Z system (IMO). I just don’t get it...

Fantastic images, thanks for sharing the article link.
I've been thinking the same, and my thoughts are that Nikon has a high level internal struggle between those who support the Z system as the future and those who are not yet ready to take that step forward.

I've been thinking the same, and my thoughts are that Nikon has a high level internal struggle between those who support the Z system as the future and those who are not yet ready to take that step forward.
I think there may be 3 arguments that Nikon is wrestling with.
1. Mirrorless is (or will be) the future.
2. Mirrorless and DSLRs can/will coexist in the future (may even be equals).
3. Mirrorless is a slowly passing fad; tradition will reign again, soon.

And there may be sub questions to each, but keeping it simple. The sooner Nikon decides the sooner we can expect the modern Nikon to emerge.

Real Name
Ian
Any executives within Nikon who cannot accept the fact that mirrorless is the future need to be removed from the company, as all they will do is hamper Nikon's ability to succeed in the current photography landscape.

Sony has been blazing trails for years now, showing the advantages of mirrorless over DSLRs, all while eating Canon and Nikon's lunch in the process. There was one area where DSLRs were thought to still have an advantage was in the pro sports market (i.e. 1DX & D5), however the A9 has shown the advantages of mirrorless in that area as well, and the A9 II will only build upon that camera's ability.

Mirrorless is the future, and anyone who can't accept that fact is a laggard. DSLRs will go the way of film SLRs.

Real Name
Ian

And there may be sub questions to each, but keeping it simple. The sooner Nikon decides the sooner we can expect the modern Nikon to emerge.
Replace "Mirrorless" with "DSLR", and replace "DSLR" with "Film SLR", and you'll find that we're in the same situation we were 20 years ago. Film was the tried-and-true known quantity, and digital was this upstart technology that many people thought was a fad.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

DSLRs will go the way of film SLRs.
...you'll find that we're in the same situation we were 20 years ago. Film was the tried-and-true known quantity, and digital was this upstart technology...
Two huge advantages dSLRs had over film SLRs: Once the camera and at least one lens were purchased, you could then display all your photos at no additional cost so long as you already had a computer that you were already using for other purposes. You could view your photo on the camera immediately after capturing it and make changes to your settings for a subsequent capture, if necessary.

Mirrorless cameras have distinct advantages over dSLRs but none anywhere near as significant as the advantages dSLRs had over film SLRs. Unlike how digital cameras became a mass market by bringing hordes of people into capturing photos, mirrorless cameras will only replace dSLRs and won't bring similar hordes into photography, especially because most people find the phone camera so much more appealing.

Last edited:
Two huge advantages dSLRs had over film SLRs: Once the camera and at least one lens were purchased, you could then display all your photos at no additional cost so long as you already had a computer that you were already using for other purposes. You could view your photo on the camera immediately after capturing it and make changes to your settings for a subsequent capture, if necessary.

Mirrorless cameras have distinct advantages over dSLRs but none anywhere near as significant as the advantages dSLRs had over film SLRs. Unlike how digital cameras became a mass market by bringing hordes of people into capturing photos, mirrorless cameras will only replace dSLRs and won't bring similar hordes into photography, especially because most people find the phone camera so far more appealing.
Good points Mike. Though back in the film age we were not tempted by new cameras every few months, just new film.

Thank you for the link , a very interesting read....but then again, Nikon is the Champion in making Strong and Dependable camera`s, ever since their rangefinders..and we all know of the mighty " F "..I would be interested in a " Z " camera, it`s just that I am in favor of the slr´s finder, but perhaps as an extra camera....as it is, personally i´m still with the D3s and D3X, even the D4 &D5 do not appeal to me, and tho` I am eagerly awaiting the D6 , Thom´s article has made me thoughtful,...wonder if others feel the same way.

Mirrorless cameras have distinct advantages over dSLRs but none anywhere near as significant as the advantages dSLRs had over film SLRs. Unlike how digital cameras became a mass market by bringing hordes of people into capturing photos, mirrorless cameras will only replace dSLRs and won't bring similar hordes into photography, especially because most people find the phone camera so far more appealing.
Photography has been the number one hobby in the world for over one hundred years, so capturing images will continue to be a major hobby in my view.

Phone cameras do make the sharing of images so easy, intuitive and quite frankly,fun. Dedicated cameras don’t. The image quality from phone cameras is getting to the point where you have to wonder why you want to drop $2,000 on kit when you can get the same quality from a phone. (I have 3 20”x30” iPhone prints on our wall that look stunning. I’ve seen a 48”x36” iPhone 5 print that is awesome).

The ergonomics,for me, of the current DSLR or mirrorless ILC are much superior to a cell phone. The ease of adjusting DoF, exposure and other items is still superior on a dedicated camera. If I could share a picture as easily as I can with a phone, the dedicated camera would become part of my ‘ecosystem ‘ as it were.

I think I will buy a Zed of some shape or form soon, only because I would like to, not need. Photography on my iPhone is very much part of my lifestyle, photography with a dedicated camera is more of a mission.

Agree with Mike.

I have a friend who worked for year in advanced technology groups. He said they'd sit in meeting with executive who'd be arguing to continue doing what they had been doing for decades and his group would just say "But they were really such high quality buggy whips."

When is the last time you saw a rotary phone? Heck when is the last time you saw a floppy disk?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom