USPS safe option from US --» UK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahtzee, May 30, 2007.

1. Any concerns with shipping USPS from US to UK? Shipping my 85 1.4 and I way underquoted fedex.

2. Be advised... one the package leaves the US, the postal service will be absolutely, positively worthless to you if something happens to the package. I often sell items on ebay to international buyers and advise them upfront how unreliable the postal service's global mail option is. Dont ask me how I know :rolleyes: just know that the USPS will do nothing for you if the item gets lost.

I would recommend the buyer ante up and spend the extra dollars for UPS or Fedex. A little money goes a long way in terms of service in the case of 'what if'...

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Peace of mind is priceless, especially concerning shipping a lens of such value. I'd contact the purchaser, explain your dilemma (the increase in costs) and see if you can work something out which is mutually agreeable.

I've used the USPS/Canada Post with great success from B&H in NYC but then again, you had to sign for it with Canada Post so they could collect the govt taxes so it all worked out well.

5. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I have shipped several things to Europe by USPS. Monty and Brian are spot on. You may get some confirmation that the thing is in their system.

I once got the said info after the package was with French Customs. That would be a couple of days after it arrived in France, USPS showed it was accepted in the system and at O'Hare for transport.

But they do have deals with the world's post and customs people to expedite. UPS, FedEx, et al may need customs brokers, a potential boost in cost/complexity that will astound. So use USPS, but be advised, you will know nothing till it pretty much gets there. Hand holding may be required depending on the recipient's experience/tolerance level.

6. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Well as a frequent buyer of US goods (due to the weak dollar) via eBay, in 4 years plus I've only had 2 things not get delivered and got full prompt refunds (I always ask for insurance even though some sellers claim the USPS doesn't actually insure international deliveries!!!!).
    Plus if you use a courier someone will get stung for import duty,VAT etc whereas I find it's random (in my favour) with any postal service if you get charged or not.

Just my experiences, yours may differ.....

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I've shipped worldwide via USPS with zero lost packages in 6 years, Canada, UK, Australia, Africa, Japan, Ireland, etc... That also inclues at least 300 priority mail domestic packages. No loss.

That's a pretty incredible record from my perspective.

What people sometimes fail to realize, is that once the package leaves US Customs, and hits an international flight, it is no longer a US package. It is then up to the countries where transit must occur and their customs.

8. Well, I don't know much about shipping to the UK but I buy most of my toys mail order and much of it from the USA. Living in Canada I will ONLY use USPS unless the shipment is valuable enough that I need a tracking number. Out of 100 purchases so far I've only been burned once - where the package was shipped to London ENGLAND instead of London ONTARIO, CANADA. After three months I eventually did get the package but it took UK mail MONTHS to figure out that London ON CANADA is in a different country .. duh! Yes, USPS made the initial mistake, but it was UK mail that really messed up by taking so long to fix it.

I still use USPS since all the other options are too expensive. In spite of the shipping risk I've saved untold sums of money buying used and from direct resellers over the internet so its worth the risk to me.

9. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i've just sent something usps to the uk, and i'm afraid it hasnt showed up yet... 2.5 weeks later, to think i saved 25 dollars is wrong if i have to replace it anyways.

i'm holding out to hear if it shows up soon though

-drew

10. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

Ok - I didn't think I would post in this particular thread - But I will... I have worked for the USPS for 21 years now, and because I see what comes in, what goes out, and what goes where - I personally would no problem ever using another service anywhere in the world except the USPS...

Remember - When you ship overseas though, it's only USPS until it gets into their country, then it's THEIR Postal Service.

Even with that - There's no question that I would personally use the USPS. It's the most reliable option in my opinion.

Now you're thinking, "that's because he works there" - No - It's because I see how things are delivered both in the US and I get feedback from customers who mail to outside the US destinations...Almost without fail, there's not a problem...Don't quote me on this, but I "believe" that we send more e-bay mailings around the world than any other carrier.

That's just my 2 cents worth...

What I would tell you - Use whatever service you feel most comfortable using :smile:

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

11. I've shipped a few times to the UK in my eBay sales and never had a problem. I've always used USPS Global Priority Mail, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how quickly my items arrive there...always in less than a week, often within just a few days.

12. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I always use FedEx and I've never, ever had a problem.

13. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    This is par for the course, don't give up just yet. Sometimes a thing will get stuck in customs or their system is backed up.