UV filters - worth it?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by randyr5, Jun 21, 2007.

1. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    This has probably been discussed before, but I was wondering how many of you use UV filters on your lenses? Some say that they degrade picture quality, others say no as long as you buy good ones (Hoya Pro1, B&W, Heliopan). Some get them just for the protection factor.

What say you??

2. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I do (although I haven't gotten a 77 one yet due to lack of funds). I've never noticed a decrease in quality, and the physical protection has always made me feel more comfortable.

3. You will NEED then at higher altitudes and in dusty, windy or inclement weather. I only use them then.

4. I have one on all my lenses and only take them off when it's absolutely required. Otherwise I haven't noticed any quality issues.

5. I do have them, always on. Only time I take it off is when I swap for a CP as I don't want to have both on, especially because it causes some vignetting at WA.

6. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

Do we really need the UV filters on DSLRs, or would a clear filter like the Nikon NC series be a better option?

I am not a DSLR sensor guru, but I thought I had heard there is a UV filter on the sensor itself? With my old 80-400mm VR I used the Nikon NC 77mm and must say noticed 0 change in image quality with the NC filter on.

7. TopGear

TopGear

Mar 16, 2006
    Thinking maybe without...

Just bought the Nikon 12-24 and since I didn't have a 77mm filter I've been shooting for the first time without. All my other lenses have always had UV filters on them.

It could be just this lens, but the colors I'm getting now are astounding, much brighter than from my other lenses (50/1.8, 18-70).

And yes, it's been raining almost daily here, so the air is clearer than normal, and of course the 12-24 is a very nice piece of glass... but I think I'm going to start using the other lenses without filters to see how they look.

8. It very well could be just the lens, you can't really make a conclusion until you have side by side test shots with and without the filter.

9. Sensors are sensitive to IR not so much UV. They do already have a IR filter in front (that's why people are taking them off for a IR camera mod). NC filters are probably the same as a UV filter but the Nikon NC filters are so expensive and most people has used UV filters as just "protection" with no ill-effect so I think getting a high end 3rd party UV is the way to go.

10. TopGear

TopGear

Mar 16, 2006
    Wow, that sounds so familiar...