[UV] Rudbeckia - a study of different lenses for UV

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by kds315, Jul 10, 2007.

1. kds315

kds315

May 30, 2006
    Dr Klaus Schmitt
    This was meant as a simple and unscientific comparison of some lenses for UV photography with focal lengths 50...60mm.
    All shots Nikon D70 + Baader 2" U-filter + Sb-140 flash @ ISO400, identical postprocessing for all results; all images full size
    reduced down to 1024pix, no cropping.

1) Rodenstock UV-Rodagon f5.6 60mm @f8 [reference lens, no focus difference at all]
    original.

2) Carl Zeiss Jena UV Objektiv f4 60mm @f8 [trial-and-error to focus, massive focus difference that is why the image is that large, UV focus is much closer]
    original.

3) UV calibrated old german f2.8 50mm lens (under development) @f8 [slight focus difference in usual i.e. closer direction]
    original.

4) Carl Zeiss S-Planar f4 60mm @f8 [slight focus difference in unusual opposite direction i.e. further away]
    original.

5) Tomioka Macro Yashinon f2.8 60mm @f5.6 (due to limited and very narrowband UV response) [slight focus difference in usual i.e. closer direction]
    [This is a non-working example of a modern multicoated lens; many others show the same UV transmission and results]
    original.

The last lens #5 stands as an example for most modern multicoated lenses which have some UV transmission from about 370..380nm onwards which
    leads to these blueish UV colors and some lack of resolution.

This is the visual reference shot:
    original.

Here now the part II of the test, same as above, just different lenses:

6) Steinheil Quarzobjektiv f1.8 50mm @f8 (about) (now using Baader U-filter) [strong focus difference in usual i.e. closer direction]
    [This 1930ish lens is also a noncoated one, so it is quite sensitive to flare and doesn't have the high contrast modern lenses have...]
    original.

7) selfmade lens from Quartz Achromat ca. 50mm @f8 (about) [strong focus difference in usual i.e. closer direction; strong abberation gets visible]
    original.

8 ) Rodagon f4 60mm @f8 (about) [strong focus difference in unusual i.e. further direction]
    original.

9) EL Nikkor f2.8 50mm @f8* [strong focus difference in usual i.e. closer direction]
    original.

10) D.O. Industries f4.5 50mm @f8* [strong focus difference in usual i.e. closer direction]
    original.

"tweaked" version of the Tomioka shot #5 to match the colors of the reference shot since the UV pattern is there...
    The "poor mans" version if no real UV lens is available. There is quite some quality difference of course, but at least
    with the help of that excellent 2" Baader U-filter some result may be obtained....

original.