1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

V-Swabs Sensor Cleaning

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by IAH-DF, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Happy 4th to all!
    Has anyone tried these (link) and if so what is your impressions?

2. papah

papah

May 5, 2007
    Seattle
    They're much better for cleaning the D3 than other swabs. That said, cleaning the D3's sensor is difficult.

The V-swabs do make it easier to clean the edges and corners without snagging on the sides of the mirror box. They're not magic, however. I still need two to get the job done.

3. Dave, Have you tried using the Giotto Rocket Air?

4. Just wondering why everyone mentions the "Rocket Air" What about the cans of compressed air? are they any good?. I use them all the time for the computer

5. KG72

KG72 Guest

Cans of compressed air usually have moisture in them. Not something you want to be spraying inside a camera body.

6. Garrie,

If you use a good grade oc compressed air such as that available for electronic/semiconductor work, the air is dry and particulate free and much better than using a Giotto Rocket. However this kind of canned air is not cheap. Of Course replacinging a scratched sensor is not cheap either. Yes, I much prefer the good canned air to the Giotto Rocket and I have both.

Tom

7. Thanks for the replies..... I have been using the canned air on processors in P.C. labs for years without any probs...if you shake the can before using you do get a problem, but otherwise it seems to work OK

8. Garrie, That's one reason why I hate the stuff! I remember once I took the canned air off my shelf didn't realize I had the can on a slight angle as I was spraying and a cloud of liquid was all over the place...good thing I wasn't cleaning my sensor :eek:  Give the Rocket-Air a shot, its only $10 you'll be surprised how much air comes out of it and you'll save the environment! :biggrin:

9. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I thought dry air was bad for LSI semi's and such due to the ESD (electro static discharge) potential. How do you deal with this problem when working with sensitive stuff such as CMOS sensors / electronics? ... and what about blowing all that dust around in the camera shutter chamber, isn't that going to compound your problems in the future? (need to remove the particles, not move them around!)

Jon

10. I have not but it is on my list of needs. I have been using the "common" white swabs and I am not satisfied with the results as it leaves lent on the edges of the mirror box as noted above. And going through 3 or 4 each time is getting expensive. I have heard about canned air and have the same concerns as voiced here. Is it me or is this sensor harder to keep clean over other "pro" bodies? My 2Xs is easer to maintain it seems verses the 3. Is any one else having an issue or is it just me?

I want to thank everyone for the replies. Please if you have any suggestions post them here. :smile:

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Another testimony for the Rocket Air. I store it in a closed Zip Lock bag to help it stay clean between uses. It is a wonderful tool.

12. Thanks John, nice tip. I had not thought of the zip-lock!
    Looks like I will hitting B&H today. Any suggestions on what size?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.