V1 First Impression

So I got my Nikon V1 (body only) and FT1 in the mail today. I threw the 50mm 1.4G on and went out to the parking lot to goof off.

I absolutely have to have shallow DOF, so knowing that I could pop the 50 1.4 on here which would give me the full frame equivalent of 135mm at f4, I knew I could live with that.

This is an extremely unscientific comparison, just to get a general idea of the differences in color, metering, sharpness, bokeh, and AF between my D3 with the 80-200 and the V1 with the 50 1.4. One shot is with the V1 and 50 1.4G at f1.4. The other is with the D3 and 80-200 2.8 AFS at 135mm f4.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0242 by xXx-Ray, on Flickr

View attachment 1221824
RAY_9360 by xXx-Ray, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
The bokeh looks a bit funky in the 1st shot at 1.4... I believe it has to do with a limitation of the FT-1 adapter at very wide apertures:

The tops and bottoms may be missing from circular bokeh shapes created at wide apertures using lenses with a maximun aperture of f/1.4 or f/1.2.
(Taken from: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/lenses/mount_adapter_ft1/note.htm)

Thom Hogan mentions this in his ebook, too. He recommends only using lenses with max aperture of 1.8 with the FT-1...

Cheers

Mike

The bokeh does look funky. But by f2.8, the pics are nice and sharp with no chromatic aberration in most shots.

For the casual cell phone snapper who doesn't want to mess with the bulk of a DSLR, but wants better quality pics for Facebook, Instagram, etc, I think the V1 with the 18.5mm 1.8 could be a cool little camera. The quick AF makes it possible to get pics you couldn't get otherwise. And it does have what most cell phone snappers would consider to be the "DSLR look" because shooting at f1.8 through f2.8 will give much shallower DOF as compared to a point and shoot or cell phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom