Test V1-First Impressions

In another thread I mentioned that I decided on a V1 because the sensor performance tested similar to that of the D200 according to DXoMark. Well now that I've used it for the first time I believe that claim at least for landscape photography and family photos. DR and color saturation are very similar to the D200. At ISO 400 the V1 is a bit noisier. Auto WB is much better on the V1.

Most of my shots were made with a CPL filter attached which robs some light. Plus shooting landscapes I like small apertures too so consequently was using a lot of low ss. I was NOT impressed with the VR of the 1 series lenses and had a lot of culls due to motion blur. But I can't say whether that's because my handheld technique is bad with the tiny V1 or if the VR doesn't work as well as it does on larger lenses.

Here are a few sample shots. All shot as NEFs and converted to TIFF with ViewNX then processed and saved to JPEG with PSE. None of these are "straight out of camera". DR and colors aren't bad.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This next one was three images stitched into a pano. You can see how well the DR was handled in this high contrast lighting.

I intentionally under exposed this one to get the dark BG.

Very nice Dan. What did you use for stitching the 3rd one and did you use JPGs for stitching or something else? Personally I don't appreciate the stitched image as much as I do the others.

I did use JPEGs to stitch the image in PSE6. Yeah I know that's not the strongest image in the world. Too late in the day by the time we got that high but we were there so I took the shots. It does look a lot better in a large format like 1920x1080.

W

Wileec

Looks like you're starting to get some feel for the V1.

I find the more I shoot with it and push and try and tinker, the better the result in later shots.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom