V1 FT-1 AF-C not brilliant.

Just received my FT-1 today, updated the FW so AF-C works.

I used 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII with and without 1.4 & 300mm f/2.8 VR.

First impressions the AF is a bit hit or miss and hard to lock focus on a small object.

When tracking with shutter half pressed the AF does not continuously focus like a DSLR, I have to mash the shutter to get AF moving again.

Maybe I was expecting to much from the FT-1 in AF-C mode or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice would be good.

Cheers

Just received my FT-1 today, updated the FW so AF-C works.

I used 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII with and without 1.4 & 300mm f/2.8 VR.

First impressions the AF is a bit hit or miss and hard to lock focus on a small object.

When tracking with shutter half pressed the AF does not continuously focus like a DSLR, I have to mash the shutter to get AF moving again.

Maybe I was expecting to much from the FT-1 in AF-C mode or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice would be good.

Cheers
I have the same experience, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong... it seems like the V1/FT1 only continuously focuses as long as you keep the AF point on target. If you lose the target you need to re-initiate AF by lifting the shutter and half pressing again.

I think it should behave like DSLR bodies and just re-focus on something else without having to lift the shutter, but somehow Nikon didn't design it that way...

Cheers

Mike

I have the same experience, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong... it seems like the V1/FT1 only continuously focuses as long as you keep the AF point on target. If you lose the target you need to re-initiate AF by lifting the shutter and half pressing again.

I think it should behave like DSLR bodies and just re-focus on something else without having to lift the shutter, but somehow Nikon didn't design it that way...

Cheers

Mike
Mike, it's a shame Nikon didn't design the AF-C like a DSLR AF-C maybe it was not technically possible, maybe the firmware update was just a halfway house which only half works?

Anyway I love the V1 and will you it for still shots and video.

Cheers

Nick

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom