V2.0 Firmware Available for Z6 / Z7 – Includes Eye-Detect

Real Name
Ian
I updated my Z6, and all went smoothly. Eye AF works, auto shutter-type switching works. I didn't have many complaints about the AF before, but I'll have to see how it's improved for how I use it.

It's a nice update, and should help calm the hysteria around Nikon not having Eye AF when Sony had it. I'm hoping that Nikon continues to update the Z cameras in the future, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see about that.

Real Name
Doug
I'll have a chance to test the firmware update and my slowly growing understanding of the Z series AF tomorrow afternoon. Grandkids have an afternoon Dance Bash in the gym. Lots of little bodies darting around in marginal light. Challenging and interesting.

So part of the update is to automatically control EFCS: "If Auto is selected, the camera will automatically choose a shutter type according to shutter speed."

Ok. So exactly at what shutter speed does it switch from EFCS to Mechanical? I assume it is 1/2000 where the EFCS cutoff was before, but, you know, it'd be kind of nice to know exactly . . .

Real Name
Walter Rowe
So part of the update is to automatically control EFCS: "If Auto is selected, the camera will automatically choose a shutter type according to shutter speed."

Ok. So exactly at what shutter speed does it switch from EFCS to Mechanical? I assume it is 1/2000 where the EFCS cutoff was before, but, you know, it'd be kind of nice to know exactly . . .
Read page 262 of the updated manual.

D9D7839C-FAEB-4524-8611-BEF9BFA4823A.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Steve
I thought there'd be more of a buzz about this. I get the extra features, but in general has the AF been improved? If I drop to AF-S, single point AF is the AF better?

AF-S single point wasn't exactly bad before . . .

I've only played with the Z6, but my general impression is that the low light focussing has indeed improved and (again a subjective impression) is that it is as good or better than my previous D750.

Real Name
Steve
AF-S single point wasn't exactly bad before . . ..

I had both the Z7 and A7Riii (and A9) at the same time briefly (a couple of weeks). The Z7 wasn't as fast or accurate as either of the Sonys in AF-S single point, which is what I use most of the time. I'd hoped that had been improved with the other updates. Not seeing that in any of the reviews, just comments about the new features.

Real Name
Andrew
Nikon referenced specifically better low light performance, but didn't elaborate on any speed or accuracy improvements overall. Not saying they are not there, but in true firmware update fashion, you don't really get a good idea of what exactly was changed.

I'd love for them to share the use cases and incident reports that brought about the updates.

Real Name
Ian
It must be something with the Z7, because my Z6 has been nothing but fantastic in terms of AF performance (speed, accuracy, etc.) I've shot college T&F with it, with athletes sprinting full-bore straight at me, and the AF system did not let me down.

It must be something with the Z7, because my Z6 has been nothing but fantastic in terms of AF performance (speed, accuracy, etc.) I've shot college T&F with it, with athletes sprinting full-bore straight at me, and the AF system did not let me down.

Same. I have had no issues with the Z6 being able to handle both indoor and outdoor action. I would like to see some bells and whistles added to the second generation of the Z-series, but the Z6 is a very capable camera.

Some follow-up on this question. It seems that Nikon has actually set the cutoff at 1/250 for EFCS, and 1/320 for the mechanical FCS to kick in, when the Auto mode is selected. Not clear as to why, and why it's not apparently variable depending on lens focal length. One theory is that the bokeh can appear jittery with EFCS at faster shutter speeds, so mechanical is activated at a lower speed even though there will be no exposure abnormalities until 1/2000.

Some follow-up on this question. It seems that Nikon has actually set the cutoff at 1/250 for EFCS, and 1/320 for the mechanical FCS to kick in, when the Auto mode is selected. Not clear as to why, and why it's not apparently variable depending on lens focal length. One theory is that the bokeh can appear jittery with EFCS at faster shutter speeds, so mechanical is activated at a lower speed even though there will be no exposure abnormalities until 1/2000.
Source?

Real Name
Ian
Of which part? The EFCS cut-off can be tested by anyone. Simply keep changing your shutter speed with the "auto" setting enabled, and listed for the point when the camera switches from EFCS to MFCS. 1/250th is what's been reported by other users as well.

As for the bokeh, there was a video done by some YouTuber a few months ago with a Sony camera that showed a more nervous bokeh with the EFCS vs. MFCS. Again, this is a simple test to replicate.

Latest threads

Top Bottom