V2.0 Firmware Available for Z6 / Z7 – Includes Eye-Detect

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Nikon | Download Center | Z 6
Nikon | Download Center | Z 7

The changes below are the same for Z6 and Z7.

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.01 to 2.00
  • Added eye-detection AF for use when taking photographs. To enable eye-detection AF, select:
    • AF-S or AF-C for Focus mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
    • Auto-area AF for AF-area mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
    • Face and eye detection on for Custom Setting a4 (Auto-area AF face/eye detection) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU
If the camera detects the face of a portrait subject, the face will be enclosed in an amber border indicating the focus point. If the subject’s eyes are detected, an amber border indicating the focus point will appear around either eye. If the camera detects more than one face or eye, triangles will appear to either side of the focus point; to position the focus point over a different face or eye, press the multi- or sub-selector left or right.​
  • Improved autofocus performance for photos and movies shot under low light: -2 – 19 EV (low light autofocus -4 – 19 EV), measured in photo mode with single-servo AF (AF-S) at ISO 100 and 20°C with an f/2 lens.
  • The following improvements have been made to the Continuous H (extended) option for Release mode:
    • Not only focus but now also exposure will respond to changes in the subject during shooting
    • The burst shooting display after the memory buffer fills is now easier to read
  • Reduced the length of time the display turns off (the blackout period) when pictures are taken with On or On (monitor only)selected for Image review in the PLAYBACK MENU.
  • Item d5 in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, formerly Electronic front-curtain shutter, has been renamed Shutter type and offers a choice of Auto, Mechanical shutter, and Electronic front-curtain shutter. If Auto is selected, the camera will automatically choose a shutter type according to shutter speed.
  • Changed the color the focus point turns when the AF-ON button is pressed or the shutter-release button is pressed halfway with Auto-area AF selected and face detection or target tracking active.
  • Edited and revised help text.
  • Fixed the following issues:
    • The camera would stop responding if certain operations were performed while HDMI output was in progress with 3840 x 2160 (4K UHD) selected for frame size.
    • The value selected for maximum sensitivity would sometimes be exceeded during movie recording in mode M with Onselected for Auto ISO control (mode M) if Active D-Lighting was enabled.
    • The display would sometimes briefly behave unexpectedly in movie mode before or during recording.
    • The items in My Menu would sometimes not display correctly.

Real Name
Andrew
Lots of great stuff here.

Eye AF is a definite welcome, but I like the EFCS upgrade as well. I've just been shooting in EFCS all the time unless I know I'm going to be shooting over 1/125 consistently. Now, if it works well, the "Auto" function should do that heavy lift for us and I'll not need to menu dive.

Also welcome any improvements in any aspect of AF.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
There is a lot of good stuff here, this basically changes my view of these cameras quite a bit, Nikon has erased a fair mount of concerns and improved their position quite a bit in the market. Although many will focus (sorry!) on the eye AF, the improved blackouts, non locking AE in burst mode, better low light AF are really useful additions. Now Nikon what about the burst mode RAW buffer, can you improve that a bit in FW 3.0????

Imaging resource has a video of Eye AF worth watching:

As a birder it would be important with an Eye AF that discerns the eye from further away, but for the rest of photographers it shouldn't matter much as DOF will increase with distance.

Looks positive to me....

Real Name
Andrew
It looked like the A7-III had some issue with the Eye_AF in some of the bursts at the end of the video, where it didn't seem the Z6 had the same issue.

The A7-III seemed to acquire focus quicker in video mode when the subject was leaving and entering the frame. I wonder if this could be enhanced for the Z6 if you changed the blocked shot to 1.

There is a lot of good stuff here, this basically changes my view of these cameras quite a bit, Nikon has erased a fair mount of concerns and improved their position quite a bit in the market. Although many will focus (sorry!) on the eye AF, the improved blackouts, non locking AE in burst mode, better low light AF are really useful additions. Now Nikon what about the burst mode RAW buffer, can you improve that a bit in FW 3.0????

Imaging resource has a video of Eye AF worth watching:

As a birder it would be important with an Eye AF that discerns the eye from further away, but for the rest of photographers it shouldn't matter much as DOF will increase with distance.

Looks positive to me....

What buffer issues are you running into? I have yet to fill the buffer to cause any slowing of the image capture. Of course I'm using it for sports and a long burst for me would only be about 8 frames with most being around 4 to 6. I'm running 12-bit NEFs to get the max FPS. I thought I had read in the past the Z6 would buffer mid 30s and the Z7 could do low 20s.

Can anyone who installed the new firmware check if magnify view is any better (with faster fps/less lag)? That was my #1 fix I wanted the firmware to address, #2 was fixing EFCS, #3 was eliminating or minimizing blackout on AF-C burst shooting.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I would like to have at least 5 seconds of burst buffer for birds

What buffer issues are you running into? I have yet to fill the buffer to cause any slowing of the image capture. Of course I'm using it for sports and a long burst for me would only be about 8 frames with most being around 4 to 6. I'm running 12-bit NEFs to get the max FPS. I thought I had read in the past the Z6 would buffer mid 30s and the Z7 could do low 20s.

Real Name
Ian
At 6fps, you should be able to get that easily with the Z6.

If memory serves me right, the Z6’s buffer when shooting at 6fps was basically non-existent because of the XQD write speed. The only time the buffer comes in to play is when shooting in H+ drive mode, which is something like 36-39 images (lossless compresses 14-bit)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Anyone installed the update yet? I’m on the road today and won’t be able to install it till later.
I installed it on my Z7. Easy to update. No issues. AF eye detect is automatic. I pointed it at the TV and watched the AF mode change automatically depending on whether a face or no face was present. Amazing!

I installed the firmware upgrade with no problems on the Z6. The announcement I received comes with good news/bad news statement. Good news the upgrades work as advertised, the bad is that Nikon issued a recall for some Z6 and Z7 cameras due to IBIS issues
Serial numbers:
Technical Service Advisory for Users of the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 Cameras Service Advisory

My Z6 happens to be one of the ones affected ....though I've not noticed any issues with vibration control. Not sure about the specifics of the stated issue from Nikon. Ah well good thing I have some back up cameras while the Z6 is at the shop.

Real Name
Bill
It does seem a bit better. Not a quantum leap but seems to do better with busy scenes.

This Mule Deer had a lot of tall grass in front and all around it. Before I would have trouble due to all the busyness. This was with AFC dynamic

Muley Chillaxing.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This Osprey even though it's in clear view was a piece of cake. This was with AFC wide.

Osprey v20.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
We birders are not happy if we don't get full fps and a decent buffer. the D500/D5/D850 defines what good buffer is. Both the Z7 and Z6 have XQD cards and should have had a bigger buffer (I think) I would like to have the same as the Nikon DSLR cameras at full speed, and 6 fps is not as useful when you want a the wing position to be just right. 10 fps, 5 plus seconds of buffer is more like it :)

I have a (dumb) question: how do I find the eye AF after completing the firmware update? The update has been completed, the a4 is on.....what am I missing?

Latest threads

Top Bottom