VA Widlife Magazine Winner

My photo of the fighting bucks won first place in the 2013 July/Aug Virginia Wildlife Magazine. Just would like to share!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here is the rest of the gallery photos from that outing! - http://www.mbgphotography.com/Wildlife/Shenandoah-NWR-Virginia/Shenandoah-NWR-Fall-2011/19850742_7zKHxr

Michael :890:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great shots, how close were you to those guys?
If I remember correctly around 150 to 200 feet. I was using a D300s and 300mm f/2.8 lens. Well here is the story to it:

Early in the fall of 2011 My wife and I visited Big Meadows at the Shenandoah valley. We had just pull up to the road that runs by the meadow and parked because we saw a couple of bucks in the field around 150 yards away. Looks like that they were in the mist of a fight so we jumped out and got our camera equipment set up. Bout the time we were done so were they. As I watched them travel to my left and up a rise I decided to follow.

Of course there were other deer in the meadow, mostly doe. I hiked up the rise carrying my equipment and watched the two buck disappear from my view has they moved toward a small field at the top of the rise and beyond a few outcrops of boulders.

As I reached the area were they went and come to the top of the ridge I was in shock as I saw around 8-9 bucks in the area with several of them in full fight mode. You smell the excitement and the musk in the air. My attention was drawn toward 3 bucks in a fight not too far away and I planted my tripod and started taking pictures. At that time 1 of the 3 bucks decided to depart but the other 2 continued with the fight. There was a time when they were too close for my 300mm and I had to back up a bit. I was so excited that I wasn't sure what to do but fire away. I think I came away with around 20-25 decent photos out of 60-70 taken.

My wife was also up there and see took this one.

Michael

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Michael - Congratulations. Great shot. How often have you ever seen bucks butting heads when you've been out taking shots?
John,

At that time I saw 3 pairs fighting. Since then none. We are going back the end of Oct. so maybe we'll get lucky again.

Michael

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom