Valentina & the 105 F2 DC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hi all there

taken the other evening handheld in low light.. I hope it's enough sharp and beautiful for you.. This is one of my classmates: notice how the DC ring is also able to change the colour tone from warmish (rear) to blueish (front) Maybe could be interesting studying its behaviour in outdoors rather than indoors.. It's the first time I notice that, the side light is a 5500 K light to look at slides, maybe it could be that the source of this strange effect.
    She's from Viareggio, Pisa.

F2 - DC neutral
    [​IMG]

F2 - DC REAR 5.6 - warmish
    [​IMG]

F2 - DC FRONT 5.6 - blueish
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

2. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

It's also interesting to note that the exposure changes slightly. If you look at the right side of her face, the highlight increases just ever so slightly in the version with the DC ring set to FRONT 5.6. I haven't used the DC ring too much, as I really like the results I get from the neutral position on my 135 DC.

BTW - I didn't realize that you had posted in the thread over at DPR until I noticed that the photos were the same as the ones here.

3. ...

oh, REALLY? (my pictures are there?) :wink::tongue::biggrin:

4. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    "
    taken the other evening handheld in low light.. I hope it's enough sharp and beautiful for you.. This is one of my classmates: notice how the DC ring is also able to change the colour tone from warmish (rear) to blueish (front) Maybe could be interesting studying its behaviour in outdoors rather than indoors.. It's the first time I notice that, the side light is a 5500 K light to look at slides, maybe it could be that the source of this strange effect.
    She's from Viareggio, Pisa. "

Hi Dino,

Thanks for bringing this to our notice. Just this evening, I was using
    the 105 DC with my grandkids. I have to test this more.

( btw, I too think a 2.8 macro is specified 2.8 at infinity!! and yes the pics are beautiful.)

Take care.

5. Sweet sweet lens!!! awesome comparison, I've always wondered what the DC effect is like :) thanks for sharing!

6. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Well, that's not the only thing the DC ring is good for. If he had used a setting of say, FRONT 2, there's a chance that both eyes could have been in focus, and it would've looked as if it were taken with a non-DC lens. The DC feature only gives a soft focus effect when the DC number is greater than the f-stop (say, a DC setting of REAR 2.8 when the f-stop is f/2).

7. Interesting. It isn't obvious that the defocus control would affect color, but that's certainly what it looks like here...

8. Cool, I need to go read up more about this.

9. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

10. Ciao Ed
    while I'm writing I should be supposed to be in bed, while I'm actually at night and unexpected work. To answer to your question, I have to admit that I don't know... This is the only way I've seen working DC feature, if there is another way, I'm not aware of it and yes, you could be right. For what I need, I've just noticed that working that way, the lens produces a nice flou effect and this is enough.. if you know another way, let me know it thanks :)

11. Thanks Ed for the info, I neither thought to use the DC as you suggested, to me it was much more intuitive doing my way, that is fully turning the DC ring while keeping aperture wide open. I'll try and let you know ;)

12. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

In addition to what Ed has said, make sure that you focus the lens after you change the DC setting. If you change the ring's position without refocusing the lens afterwards, it will result in an out of focus image. I rarely use the DC feature on mine also, but it's nice to have when I do want it.

13. Ciao Zach, I think I'm already doing what you suggest, in fact, first I set the desired dc opening and then frame (on the ear if setting R5.6 and somewhere close to the nose if setting F5.6) and this is what I get: usually, to maximize this effect, I keep DC at neutral OR directly to R/F5.6, other intermediate apertures aren't so good looking to my eyes.

Thanks again you all.

14. I have to add that I tried also to shoot on landscapes with that lens and this is what I found out: the DC effect reported on longer distances is something really fooling the focused area.. if you shoot just 15-20m far from you, even with the DC already set, the focused area is not at all what you framed but shifts noticeably, like here..

The intended subject should be the sundial on the building just in front of me, but... look on what's more in focus? The pole not so far from me.

[​IMG]

From here onward I've some shot taken at a certain distance.. give them a look..
    http://italy74.smugmug.com/gallery/1158478#112893293

these leaves where just at 2 / 3 meters from me, while I was focusing on the small yellow building some meters over. You can see it in the other gallery shots just following. I also reported how looked the same building with DC set to R5.6 (leaves in focus, but probably you can't see it)

p.s. as you can see, that morning I haven't my tripod with me... I have always had an "oblique" sense of perspective and framing... :D :D :D