Valentine's Day Almaden Lake

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Feb 14, 2005.

1. It's a cold, rainy day, but I stopped by the local lake in hopes that the egrets had returned.
    The only white birds were of the duck variety, but they were putting on some interesting displays.

[​IMG]

It must be the beginning of mating season, because the females had that knowing grin...

[​IMG]

... and the males seemed to be showing off,

[​IMG]

... or trying to establish dominance.

[​IMG]

I tried a little panning, but the light wasn't very good.

[​IMG]

Then I witnessed a horrifying attack, as a dastardly a gang of birds tried to steal some bread from a little kid.
    Fortunately, his parents were able lift him above harms way.

[​IMG]

All in all, a nice day at the lake, and it didn't start raining until I was back at my car :) .

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,

Very very nice shots.

Cheers
    Gale

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You have some really good ones here Frank. I've had a very difficult time getting any decent flight shots of male Mallards.

Nice pics. :lol: :lol:

Frank

4. Thanks, Frank. I have a tough time getting shots of anything airborne. It's not so much the AF as it is my old reflexes :-/.

5. Way to go Frank, you are giving us all something to shoot for. Thanks for sharing these images.

6. You're too kind, Gordon. When it comes to birding, I'm in the bottom 10% on this forum... except for hummers :).

7. Frank, if you're in the bottom 10% then I'm below the scale marks. But being at the bottom of this heap is still pretty good company as far as I'm concerned!

Enjoyed your pics. Glad the child survived -- maybe you have an entry for the latest contest!

8. I admire your humility, but I don't think so, David. Not with shots like this in your gallery.

[​IMG]

My favorite nature shot is this one. What a great catch!

[​IMG]

But I think your specialty is performance pics.

[​IMG]

9. #1 That osprey goy upset with me and flew off when I wouldn't leave him a tip... I missed the sign that said "will pose for fish". There's so many of those guys competing for attention down in Florida that they resort to drastic measures sometimes.

#2 Yes folks, that's none other than our esteemed co-administrator Frank Wilson (the other Frank??) getting a dancing lesson from what I believe was a tri-colored heron as Frank was looking for an alligator to feed.

#3 No, that's not Emmy Lou Harris... that's Linda (foreground) and Curt (background -- I bet I didn't have to tell you that) from the group "Silver" at the 2004 Festival for the Eno in Durham, NC. My first and only ever attempt at getting some live music shots (my brother is their percussionist).

:oops:

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey, I recognize that handsome photog in the water.... :D :D :D :D

Frank

11. That shot says a lot about you as a photographer, Frank. One stumble, and you'd have dunked $3000 worth
    of gear. But you'll risk anything for the picture... even testicular pneumonia :lol:

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

It says something about me alright, but I'm not exactly sure what.... :roll: :oops: 8) :lol:

Regards,

Frank

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Even the term "testicular pneumonia" sounds... rude.

What a group !

John P.

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Hey, no problem with this kind of thing. Come out here in New Mexico to White Sands, and we'll bury you up to your neck in fine white gypsum particles.

Then we'll take you out to the Bosque to shoot. :twisted:

John P.

15. Frank (Flew) you have just moved up a notch on my "photographers will do anything" meter. I have filled my waders with water more than once during my fishing days and know how easy it is to fall over. For the image to take precedence over that expensive gear definitely says something about you. I will leave the "what" up to greater minds than mine.

Regards,

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Frank,

Wow, thats was an excellent series of shots. Good work.