Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada

Last week we spent the week in St. George, Utah with our family. On Wednesday, Greg and I decided to take a day drive to Valley of Fire State Park, in Nevada. We got there about noon and stayed for a few hours. It was a clear, blue sky day and the worst possible photography conditions. But, we loved the park. We were able to do three small hikes.

Even though the photos are mediocre because of the conditions, I thought you might like to see what types of things there are to do there, for those who haven't visited. It was very crowded the day we were there. I highly recommend this park. I want to go back on a better day at a better time of day during the off season. There were several more hikes that we didn't have time to do. The hikes we went on were all around 1.5 miles or less each, round trip.

#1 Old Cabins that visitors used to stay in.

_DSC8495-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Rainbow Vista Trail
_DSC8530-Edit.jpg

#3 End of the trail...Rainbow Vista Trail
_DSC8536-Edit.jpg

#4 Hiking in the sand at Rainbow Vista Trail
_DSC8539-Edit.jpg

#5 Rainbow Vista Trail
_DSC8546-Edit.jpg

#6 Desert Mountain Sheep on Rainbow Vista Trail. All I had with me was my 24-70 f4 lens.
_DSC8549.jpg

#7 Fire Wave Trail. We have to go back because we realized when we got home that we didn't actually see the fire wave. We were pressed for time and realized later that we hurried too fast, because we didn't hike far enough.
DSC_5129-Edit.jpg

#8 View from Fire Wave Trail
DSC_5131-Edit.jpg

#9 Fire Wave Trail
DSC_5137-Edit.jpg

#10 Fire Wave Trail....the colors in the rocks are incredible.
DSC_5144-Edit.jpg

#11 White Dome Trail. We were looking back at the steep descent we had just made.
DSC_5152-Edit.jpg

#12 Slot Canyon on White Dome Trail
DSC_5163-Edit.jpg

#13 Desert Bighorn Sheep high on ridge on White Dome Trail
DSC_5182-Edit.jpg

#14 So many different colors
DSC_5189-Edit.jpg

#15 I wanted to get a shot on this road. We will have to go back to do this. It was too crowded and we needed to hurry back to a family dinner in St. George.
DSC_5200-Edit.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Delightful images, Terri! Amazing timing! Just last night I was researching this park for a possible visit during our stay in Las Vegas in a week or so. It may be too hot by the time we get there so I am considering a late afternoon, early evening visit and hoping for a nice sunset.

This is the best site I've found so far with info on photographing this park.

Thank you for posting this!!

Delightful images, Terri! Amazing timing! Just last night I was researching this park for a possible visit during our stay in Las Vegas in a week or so. It may be too hot by the time we get there so I am considering a late afternoon, early evening visit and hoping for a nice sunset.

This is the best site I've found so far with info on photographing this park.

Thank you for posting this!!
So glad I posted these today!! You should go for sure. Give yourself plenty of time to see it. There was more to see than I was expecting. There are some really nice picnic areas. The visitor's center was worth exploring, although we only gave it a few minutes. We will be returning to the park for sure. Thank you for the link to the website. I will check it out. The one hike that was so hot was the fire wave hike and it was only 69 degrees outside. You are hiking on rocks and the sun reflecting off of them was so warm.

That looks like a very interesting place, and your photographs show it well in spite of the conditions. I would put this on the list, but alas, Mrs. T. is getting less adventurous as we "mature".

Real Name
Alex
That looks like a very interesting place, and your photographs show it well in spite of the conditions. I would put this on the list, but alas, Mrs. T. is getting less adventurous as we "mature".
It is very close to Las Vegas, easy access, and you can drive and not venture in trails much if not up to it.
A must visit place while in Vegas.

It is very close to Las Vegas, easy access, and you can drive and not venture in trails much if not up to it.
A must visit place while in Vegas.

Thanks, Alex. Hiking is not a problem; we do it every day here in the mountains. But Vegas is definitely not on the list. Been there, done that, don't care to go again.

But I do appreciate your endorsement, along with Terri's excellent photos.

I imagine we won't have too many more years of being adventurous. I'm glad you liked the photos.

Latest threads

Top Bottom