Vancouver, BC?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by patrickh, Jun 10, 2005.

1. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Where to shoot in Vancouver BC and the road between Vancouver and Seattle. Will be up there mid July. Thanks for any hints.

2. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Patrick;

What sorts of things do you like to shoot? Birds, Landscapes, etc?

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Landscapes yes, birds - not really. Zoos yes, street scenes - yes, buildings and architecture - yes, flowers - yes. I was thinking of the general street scenes downtown and the scenery in Victoria perhaps and up in the Rockies? I see you actually live there - would love any guidance you can give. I shall be spending 3 days on Saltspring Island as well.

4. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Landscapes yes, birds - not really. Zoos yes, street scenes - yes, buildings and architecture - yes, flowers - yes. I was thinking of the general street scenes downtown and the scenery in Victoria perhaps and up in the Rockies? I see you actually live there - would love any guidance you can give. I shall be spending 3 days on Saltspring Island as well.

5. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Okay. Now you have me a little confused -- Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, Saltspring Island and the Rockies covers a pretty whopping amount of territority! How long are you up here for? If it is only a week or so, you might want to narrow your range a bit, otherwise you'll be spending an awful lot of time driving and not a lot shooting!

Let's see:

Saltspring Island. The island is small and there is alot of opportunities for nice landscapes and kind of funky, artsy stuff.

Victoria. Right down at the Harbour, there are some nice Cityscapes with some iinteresting older architecture. If you are driving anyway, consider going up to the Butchart Gardens. If possible, not on a weekend! Pretty spectacular. Also the outside coast near Sooke is an easy drive from town and well worth it. A further drive would be Tofino but some pretty amazing scenery there and on the way up to it.

Vancouver: Vancouver is referred to as the City of Glass and the downtown core has some interesting modern architecture. Because it is right on the water, there are lots of opportunities for reflections, etc.

View attachment 10286

View attachment 10287

Check out Granville Island for the Market, Buskers, People. In North Van, try the Capilano Suspension Bridge or the Treewalk, and of course, Grouse Mountain. Or, go a little further from town up the Sea to Sky Highway to Squamish or Whistler.Great scenery there and along the way; mountains, waterfalls, parks, West Coast Railway Museum, Mining Museum at Brittannia, Windsurfing and Kite Boarding at Squamish.

View attachment 10288

View attachment 10289

Closer to town, take a drive out to Steveston.

View attachment 10290

View attachment 10291

Hope this helps!
    :D

6. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    I cannot thank you enough for the very kind response and the great pictures. At this rate I think I might leave mine at home, you've done such a good job. I will now pull out the map and startplanning. Thanks a million, and I really admire those pictures, you obviously love your city.

7. Hi Patrick

I live 90 minutes north of Victoria in Nanaimo. If you do end up going to Saltspring Island, you might want to go/return via Crofton. Just north of Crofton is a neat little town called Chemainus, which is known for its building murals.

The tall ships are visiting Vancouver / VAncouver Island this summer if you are interested.

As you do your homework, if you have any specific questions fell free to email me.

8. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Rory
    Thank you. I shall be asking more questions as I try to finish my planning. I knew I would get help on this most amicable forum.