Vanishing

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by leifw, Jul 29, 2007.

1. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I really liked the idea of this when I took it. I still haven't been able to figure out what it was that I liked and why it doesn't feel right. Does anyone have composition, PP, etc. suggestions?

I suspect that I liked the irrigation equipment and the field borders converging as they reach the tree, but when I crop the image to emphasize that aspect, I don't like it.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your feedback.

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i like the pic but i think it can be improved via the 1/3 or 2/3 horizontal line rule. in this pic, the sky/land boundry is 1/2 which is not as aesthetically pleasing as in thirds.

3. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Yeah, I played with cropping it like this to get 2/3 sky, but I didn't like the result.

Do you like this better?

[​IMG]

4. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I also tried cropping it into a portrait orientation.

Should mountains be included in the earth or sky third?

[​IMG]

5. More better, but I think if you just cropped up from the bottom of the original image up top it looks better, I like the extra cloud formations and wider feel. Wide and beautiful sky! Nice shot!

6. Daniel-Swe

Daniel-Swe Guest

I think that u also need to use a smaller Aperture like f16 or some thing like that...
    landscapes are trick to get right...!

7. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Greetings. I took a stab at it...

[​IMG]

Not much headroom for pp in small jpeg but...

I think the vanishing point ending at 1/3 from top, 1/3 from left adds a dynamic focus for the image.

I color balanced the sky removing green adding a little red toward a slight violet/magenta (away from cyan), color balanced the green removing some yellow, darkened the foreground a tad with a gradient, boosted contrast in clouds with curves, boosted color and definition with high pass filter and color burn blemding mode (low opacity), and boosted contrast of hills with curves. The band of tress got too dark, but didn't fix it.

Looking the result now I think the grain lost some of it's brightness (I think this happened in the jpeg/processing conversions), I'd fix this to more like the original (I didn't touch the grain except in the foreground very slightly).

Anyway, one take on the image... your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

8. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I should've used a smaller aperature. I totally boneheaded and shot it at f/4.

9. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I love it. Thanks for explaining how you did it!

10. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I love this one!

11. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    On second thought... maybe this one works better

[​IMG]

Similar treatment as before, just different crop