Various Ospreys

First off, let me apologize for the varied lighting from last evening and this morning. Both locations I shot at are within 1/4 mile of the coast and the east wind keep fighting with the land breeze and blowing the high haze / fog in and out. Gotta take what you can get!

For the most part, the young osprey's have now fledged the nest, although they're are still practicing takeoffs and landings...

Mom watches me practice landing....
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ooops....am I supposed to wait my turn to jump?
View attachment 13310

A couple of fly overs...
(this one is backlit...it's not a halo)

View attachment 13311

Can you say FOG and insufficient light?
View attachment 13312

Sunday Morning Shots...various lighting, I believe that these are all juveniles, but I'm not positive..

View attachment 13313
View attachment 13314
View attachment 13315
View attachment 13316

All excellent captures Jim, but the shots that grab me are the ones where they are staring straight at the cam / shooter. Looks like they might be sizing you up for supper or breakfast. 8)

Well shot. :wink:

Jim - do you wear something that makes you look like prey to the birds?!?!?!? I'm always amazed by the number of shots you get with the bird staring straight at you! Do you have a fish or mouse pinned to your hat???? Great series!!

drueter

The reason they stare at me is because I whisper to them.......and they hear me....and I suppose at times it could be due to the fact that I might be where maybe I shouldn't be and I'm pi**ing them off :)

Could be that I'm funny looking too I suppose?

I'll ask my wife her opinion.....on second thought.....

B

bfjr

Man that last one really good
Which the ones I found would come closer or I get a bigger lens :)

Hey Jim,

Looks like you got the focusing thing all worked out. Are you still using the same settings? Was there a good percentage of keepers with this particualr shoot?

Keep posting, I just love your work. Outstanding!

Wow Jim, now I know what I need to strive for. Your shots are always so clear and oh those eyes. As Ty said it looks like you are getting the focus issues resolved. I love the way you always capture the eyes in good light. Hard to do with the osprey as I have found out.

Hi Tomerrifc

I shot these using AF-C, Closest Subject, a4 set to ON, release set to FOCUS and single area dynamic.

I think that the rate of acceptable keepers was about 30%, however, I'd going to attribute the low rate to low light conditions and haze as these weren't exact blindingly fast shutter speeds and contrasty targets.

Also...as the birds were a fair distance out, the TC does tend to slow things down on the 500 in low light situations.

Hi james thiel

One thing that I do with my bird shooting is that I spend as much time studying my subjects...even days in advance or hours in advance of when I actually want to shoot them.

Before I decide on what to go shoot on a given outing, I'm aware of the wind direction (it affects glide paths big time and also feeding lanes), position of the sun relative to what it is I'm shooting and particularly what I expect the subject to be doing and where they'll be doing it at the time I'm going to be shooting them.

I will actually go and observe with no camera at times (usually with my wife and some Baileys or wine :) from a distance with no camera just so that I can study and learn my subjects ways of life, home range, where I should set up, etc.

Mind you...there are plenty of times like when I'm in Florida in unknown spots that I just go out and shoot at whatever moves as well. However, many of my better shots come from knowing my subjects habits and how it relates to the wind...and especially what way the light will be coming from.

Very nice captures, Jim. It's too bad that we can't enjoy some audio with these great images. I always enjoy your birds...great job.

Ignorant question:

jfenton said:
I shot these using AF-C, Closest Subject, a4 set to ON, release set to FOCUS and single area dynamic.

I think that the rate of acceptable keepers was about 30%, however, I'd going to attribute the low rate to low light conditions and haze as these weren't exact blindingly fast shutter speeds and contrasty targets.

Also...as the birds were a fair distance out, the TC does tend to slow things down on the 500 in low light situations.
Where do you set Closest Subject to use with Single Area Dynamic?

B

bfjr

appreciate the info Jim
glad to see that I am doing some of what you said (studying the species part) but also need to try some of those settings you used

Thanks again[/code]

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom