Various Ospreys

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Aug 7, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    First off, let me apologize for the varied lighting from last evening and this morning. Both locations I shot at are within 1/4 mile of the coast and the east wind keep fighting with the land breeze and blowing the high haze / fog in and out. Gotta take what you can get!

For the most part, the young osprey's have now fledged the nest, although they're are still practicing takeoffs and landings...

Mom watches me practice landing....
    original.

Ooops....am I supposed to wait my turn to jump?
    View attachment 13310

A couple of fly overs...
    (this one is backlit...it's not a halo)

View attachment 13311

Can you say FOG and insufficient light?
    View attachment 13312

Sunday Morning Shots...various lighting, I believe that these are all juveniles, but I'm not positive..

View attachment 13313
    View attachment 13314
    View attachment 13315
    View attachment 13316

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good job Jim,

Think I like the last two the best.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    All excellent captures Jim, but the shots that grab me are the ones where they are staring straight at the cam / shooter. Looks like they might be sizing you up for supper or breakfast. 8)

Well shot. :wink:

4. I swear Jim if you keep this up you are going to have claw marks across the top your head. The Osprey is really giving you the evil eye. Nice series.

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Gordon

It's a good thing that my hairs really thin...they won't get their talons tangled :)

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Jim - do you wear something that makes you look like prey to the birds?!?!?!? I'm always amazed by the number of shots you get with the bird staring straight at you! Do you have a fish or mouse pinned to your hat???? Great series!!

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    drueter

The reason they stare at me is because I whisper to them.......and they hear me....and I suppose at times it could be due to the fact that I might be where maybe I shouldn't be and I'm pi**ing them off :)

Could be that I'm funny looking too I suppose?

I'll ask my wife her opinion.....on second thought.....

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man that last one really good
    Which the ones I found would come closer or I get a bigger lens :)

9. Hey Jim,

Looks like you got the focusing thing all worked out. Are you still using the same settings? Was there a good percentage of keepers with this particualr shoot?

Keep posting, I just love your work. Outstanding!

10. Wow Jim, now I know what I need to strive for. Your shots are always so clear and oh those eyes. As Ty said it looks like you are getting the focus issues resolved. I love the way you always capture the eyes in good light. Hard to do with the osprey as I have found out.

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Excellent captures.
    Me too interested in your settings ??

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Tomerrifc

I shot these using AF-C, Closest Subject, a4 set to ON, release set to FOCUS and single area dynamic.

I think that the rate of acceptable keepers was about 30%, however, I'd going to attribute the low rate to low light conditions and haze as these weren't exact blindingly fast shutter speeds and contrasty targets.

Also...as the birds were a fair distance out, the TC does tend to slow things down on the 500 in low light situations.

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi james thiel

One thing that I do with my bird shooting is that I spend as much time studying my subjects...even days in advance or hours in advance of when I actually want to shoot them.

Before I decide on what to go shoot on a given outing, I'm aware of the wind direction (it affects glide paths big time and also feeding lanes), position of the sun relative to what it is I'm shooting and particularly what I expect the subject to be doing and where they'll be doing it at the time I'm going to be shooting them.

I will actually go and observe with no camera at times (usually with my wife and some Baileys or wine :) from a distance with no camera just so that I can study and learn my subjects ways of life, home range, where I should set up, etc.

Mind you...there are plenty of times like when I'm in Florida in unknown spots that I just go out and shoot at whatever moves as well. However, many of my better shots come from knowing my subjects habits and how it relates to the wind...and especially what way the light will be coming from.

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice captures, Jim. It's too bad that we can't enjoy some audio with these great images. I always enjoy your birds...great job.

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Ignorant question:

Where do you set Closest Subject to use with Single Area Dynamic?

16. Great shots, again, Jim. I don't know which amazes me more, their piercing bug eyes or their sharp talons!

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

appreciate the info Jim
    glad to see that I am doing some of what you said (studying the species part) but also need to try some of those settings you used

Thanks again[/code]