Various Song Birds in Alaska

Real Name
Dan
There is a lot more variety of small birds along the southern coast of Alaska than we used to get when we lived in the interior. Unfortunately most of our stay down here has been in bear country and we can't put out bird feeders. But a couple of years ago we did live in an area where the feeder only got raided by squirrels. Here are a few of the species I was able to capture.

Nos. 1-5 shot with D500/200-500mm. Nos. 6 and 7 with D500/300mm f4E.

1) Dark Eyed Junco
p3886399597-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Female yellow rumped warbler(?)
p3886399584-6.jpg

3) Wilson's warbler (?) Substantially cropped because this guy was shy. And quick.
p3886399603-6.jpg

4) Hairy WP
p3886399606-6.jpg

5) And the usual suspects for this area. Black capped chickadee.
p3886399604-6.jpg

6) And my little favorite the red breasted nuthatch
p3886399594-6.jpg

7) Another nuthatch just because I like 'em
p3886399588-6.jpg

Real Name
Dan
Very nice images and variety!
Thanks, Karen.
Very nice. I like the bg. I also like the processing to get the eyes showing in the images like 5 where the eyes are surrounded by black. Can’t pick a favorite.
Thanks, Allan. All I do with the eyes on dark heads it to give them a kick of selective sharpening in addition to the sharpening on the rest of the image.
Dan, what a terrific job Dan, the feather detail in these images is superb. Very well done.
Thanks, Louis. Very little cropping on these. Some say more pixels don't help. I beg to differ. You can definitely see the difference on no.3 here that was cropped heavily.
Super dooper Dan (y).
Thanks, Rick.

Real Name
Dan
These are fabulous!
Thanks, Nick. Glad you enjoyed them.
What a wonderful series! I love the variety, detail, colors, backgrounds.....
Thanks, Dossy.
Great set of images. As some have mentioned before there is an incredible amount of detail.
Thanks, Luis. For the money I continue to be surprised at how sharp the 200-500 is.
killer set and off the charts sharp
great bg-s
perfect technicals
Thanks, Randy. I miss not having access to a feeder. May just have to take our chances with the bears.

Real Name
Dan
As above, technically excellent.
These are also pleasant and interesting to study. Great collection. Thanks for sharing. I love to look at this kind of stuff.
Glad you enjoyed the post, Gary.
I love the small birds. Beautiful photos!
Thanks, Terri. I really enjoy watching the little guys while photographing them. Before photography I never paid that much attention to song birds.
These are all excellent.
Thanks, Jim.

Real Name
Dan
impressive...
Thanks, Delbert.
Very nice! That Junco, is just about perfect!
Thanks, Andreas. For a plain looking little bird they photograph well.
Phil K said:
Are these images as shot or cropped?
No.3 is a significant crop and the last one is a full vertical section out of a horizontal frame. The rest may have been slightly tweaked for composition.
Excellent set. nuthatch is also one of my favourites. They are usually the first to the feeders even when other species are nervous about my presence when putting out seed. Fearless little guys...but....don't sit still for very long
Which is why those two were shot with 300mm. I have held out seed with my hand beside the feeder and had them land on my palm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom