Varnish Red River Paper?

Does anyone know if you can varnish Red River paper? I just printed a 17 x 22 on Red River paper canvas and love the results but would much rather varnish if possible as put it behind glass.

RRP will respond to questions. I find them quite user-friendly.
You printed on the paper that is texture like canvas?
I would be concerned about how you went about producing the varnish layer. As a Materials engineer, I would be hesitant about paint brushes or rollers because they might have lots of solvent penetrating the top layer and disturbing the paper fibers that were compressed or moved around to get the texture.
Very light spray layers of varnish might be OK.
Also depends on whether you use a water-based varnish. Papermaking uses lots of water, so these "Low VOC" varnishes might do more damage than an oil-based. And which printer did you use? Epson pigment-based is pretty permanent but some of the dye base inks will bleed.
Sounds like a good case for "try it on 4x6 paper and see what happens".

Thanks for the replies. A friend looked at the photograph this a.m. and said "why don't you just print it on canvas?" Good question. I may however try a spray just to see how it turns out. Will let you know.

Just got an e-mail from Red River and their reply was "Paper Canvas is a matte inkjet paper. You can coat it with sprays like Premier PrintShield"

Latest threads

Top Bottom