1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Vello BG-N19 Battery Grip for Nikon D850

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Allan, Feb 8, 2018.

1. B&H has them for $100.No word on whether it will increase the fps.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I think someone will have to try it to be sure. If they use the 18a or b battery, I don't see why it shouldn't as the electronic connections are just a pass through, unless there is a circuit for the big battery.

3. I just bought the Nikon version for the incredibly stupid price of 399. For what it's worth, the Vello flash cords and flash triggers work very well.

edit: From BH site:

BG-N19 Battery Grip from Vello. ... The grip can also be used with an EN-EL18b battery when paired with the BL-5 cover

Can't tell if it has the joy stick that is on the OEM, but it is literally 25% of the cost of the Nikon.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  4. But it might not increase teh frame rate, which is important to many.

5. It has the joystick.

1517854570000_IMG_940514.

6. i bought one for my D800. It failed at 6 months, buttons worked but camera didn't recognize
    batteries or improve FPS. YMMV

7. You get what you pay for! Stick with original equipment. Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 8.11.08 PM.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Love my Nikon grip..................HATE the hole in my wallet!

9. My Vello BG-N19 showed up today. I own the MB-D18 but was curious about the Vello product. Have never owned a third party grip. All of the controls seemed crisp and all functioned properly. I am able to achieve 9 fps with a Nikon EN-El18A battery as well as a Wasabi EN-EL18 battery which I purchased for this "trial". Again, everything functions as it should, but the grip just feels cheap from the standpoint of weight. It just doesn't feel substantial. For $99 as opposed to $396 for the MB-D18, it seems to be a good deal. I'll put it through its paces for the next few months and report back if anything goes south.

10. Allow me to muddy the waters. I was curious about this question, so on Monday I went on Vello's official site and looked for the grip. the site shows all sorts of grips, but NOT the BG-N19. I did a search for it on the site and it came up as no matches. How can this be, I wondered. So I emailed the company and asked how they could be selling a product at BH and not have it appear on its own company website? And while I was there, I also asked if the BG-N19 allowed the D850 to fire off 9 fps. Guess what the answer I got today said? The customer relations rep who replied said that the company dhas not done tests to see if it could do 9fps and that no one there actually knew if it would.

How can that be possible? Either Vello really didn't test to see if 9fps happened, which if true speaks poorly for the people running the company; in fact it strikes me as inconceivable since most folks in the market are there to gain the extra fps. Or - the guy who replied to my email was a moron, which also does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about Vello. Caveat emptor.

Edit: I have pasted the email reply I received from Vello. On further reflection, perhaps it was a language issue that made the reply so unsatisfactory? I am trying to soften my "moron" comment, but I find the entire exchange to be wierd.

Hello rick,

Thank you for contacting Vello.

We have not tested the BG-N19 grip to accommodate 9fps.

Regards,

Vello Customer Support
    Gradus Group

11. This is so funny to me, people spend over 3k on a camera and go cheap on the grip & batteries! At the end of the line you get what you pay for!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.