Vello Wired Remote Shutter Release RS-N2II not auto focusing with Z6 -- SOLVED

I bought two of the referenced devices and neither one of them will auto focus the Nikon Z6 with the native 24-70mm f/4 S lens mounted. The lens is set to auto focus and using the camera's controls to directly auto focus works fine. I didn't check with any other lenses. The device is supposed to be compatible with the Z6 (and the Z7).

I sent a note to the manufacturer about it. I'll update the thread as things progress.

This issue is actually not important to me, as I always use manual focus when using a remote shutter release. I do wonder, though, if the manufacturer is aware of the issue.

Last edited:
Real Name
Jonathan Ward
Do you use back button focus? I have a Pixel wireless remote for my Z6 and I have to remember to enable the shutter release button before using if I want to autofocus from the remote.

I bought two of the referenced devices and neither one of them will auto focus the Nikon Z6 with the native 24-70mm f/4 S lens mounted. The lens is set to auto focus and using the camera's controls to directly auto focus works fine. I didn't check with any other lenses. The device is supposed to be compatible with the Z6 (and the Z7).

I sent a note to the manufacturer about it. I'll update the thread as things progress.

This issue is actually not important to me, as I always use manual focus when using a remote shutter release. I do wonder, though, if the manufacturer is aware of the issue.

Real Name
Andy
The button on the wired remote release should be equivalent to the shutter release button on the camera. Therefore, if A7 (AF Activation) is set to "ON," a half-press of the button on the remote should cause AF to attempt focus on the selected target area. If A7 is set to "OFF," you'll have to press the AF-ON button on the camera to activate autofocus.

Although you didn't mention it, this also applies to burst modes. If your release mode is set to "S," a long press of the remote button should only give you a single frame. If you are set in any kind of burst mode, holding the button on the remote should give you the appropriate burst rate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
enable the shutter release button before using if I want to autofocus from the remote.
if A7 (AF Activation) is set to "ON," a half-press of the button on the remote should cause AF to attempt focus on the selected target area.
Thanks, guys! That did the trick.

This is the first time I've used a wired remote with any camera and I had no idea the setting might be different than when using a wireless remote.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I set "My menu" to include the BBF on/off link.
I've already got a page of settings in "My Menu" and think it sort of defeats the purpose when using more than one page. Considering that I can't think of any situation when I would require using the wired remote shutter release to do the auto focusing, I won't add the pertinent setting there. Naturally, this decision means you can bet the farm that I'll have exactly that need tomorrow.

While we're on the subject of My Menu, I've never understood why Nikon doesn't allow the sub-menu items pertaining to Auto ISO to be displayed there. Only the menu item that allows you to turn Auto ISO on and off can be added to My Menu. When I shoot handheld, I always need to attend to those settings, yet they can't be added to My Menu on a D7000, D5100 or a Z6.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom