1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

VelociRaptor HD

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by K-loader, Jul 5, 2008.

1. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Those of you into repairing or putting your own PCs together may be interested in this. I replaced the failing boot drive in my PC with Western Digital’s new 10,000 RPM SATA drive named the VelociRaptor. I am so impressed with the performance and how quiet it is that I thought I would pass it along. If you are like me and like to play with multi-layer 16-bit images in Photoshop, you WILL notice the difference.

WD 10,000 RPM SATA drives have been the market for a few years---but this new one is very different. Not only is it twice the capacity, 300GB, of their previous largest drive, it’s whisper quiet in comparison. It’s actually a 2.5 inch drive sitting on a large heat-sink the size of a normal 3.5 inch drive. I don’t know if the smaller form factor of the drive has anything to do with it, but I can barley hear the drive working, but more importantly, I can feel no vibrations through the PC case like I could with an earlier version of the 10,000 RPM drive. That to me means less wear and tear and increased potential for greater reliability. WD boasts a 30 percent performance increase over the earlier versions of their 10,000 RPM drives…while can’t substantiate that claim, I will tell you the new drive’s performance is noticeably faster.

One caution, the lateral placement of the power and data ports on the drive are not standard due to drive’s 2.5 inch form factor. Therefore, it’s probably not the drive for you if you use it in one of those “hot swappable bays” found in network/server storage cases.

Dan

2. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    That's great to hear. In a gaming system I built a few years ago, I had a pair of 74gb 10K Raptors in a Raid0 array. It was(and still is) blazing fast, but definitely not silent. I had forgotten how loud it actually was until I built my current PC last fall. The 500gb Seagate I have is whisper quiet, but a speed boost would be nice.

3. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    I run a Raptor X which is the same specs and love it

4. I put one in my new build. No complaints at all :smile:

'nags', the new one is actually quite a bit faster.

5. remo

remo

May 12, 2008
    NJ
    They are fast but not quiet...........

6. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    When my array of 15k SCSI dies I will surely try them! (Probably son, I am hearing strange noises from the HDDs recently)

7. Hemigod

Hemigod

Jan 12, 2008
    Anchorage
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.