1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Velvia 50 (pardon the crappy scans)

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by lexiticus, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Scanned via a D70 and Sigma 90mm Macro (Backlit through computer paper and a Sb-600)

The scratches are on a plastic plate used to seperate the slide from the paper (theres also a Made in Japan engraving that shows up in the corners)
    Truthfully these scans don't do the pics justice, The dynamic range and saturation (and sharpness) Is blown by taking pics with the D70.

But here they are anyway!
    bee.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

cat.jpg

Actuall pic is much sharper, I think i missed the focus on the D70
    dog.jpg

horiz.jpg

kel.jpg

One of my fav, Has soo much detail in the clouds yet still shadow detail! (not really visible in my scanning method though!)
    tree.jpg

trees.jpg

2. Cute kitty. Color in the first shot looks like Velvia 50 to be sure.

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Great film, and a rather odd way of "scanning" it ;) .

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Love that last one !!

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice pics! And clever digitization scheme too!

6. Ya my Digitization is untill I decide if I want to buy a scanner or not, Its 99 cents a scan where I get the film processed, So if they don't do an amazing job, I'll buy my own scanner.

I figure an Epson 4490 should do me (If thats the one i'm thinking of with the negative and slide holders that come with it)

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I saw those on sale somewhere (Fry's?, Best Buy?, Costco?) for $99.

8. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    The colours and contrast on these are really nice!! I just bought 10 rolls of Velvia 50 really cheap so you've made me want to go and use it. I have so many films I want to try out now =). I like the greens in the last one and the sky colours in #4 best.

9. Unfortunately I appear to be stuck with the 249 CAD price that it is up here, haven't found a better deal anywhere. So its probably? a different model #?

I've read decent reviews about the scanner (For transparencies) So It is probably fine for blowing up the Slide film to 12x18's (at the same or better quality my D50 does prints, I am hoping)

Thanks for the comments, I've got 2 more rolls on the way, So now that I've figured out how it exposes I can really go nuts! (25 rolls left!)

10. Ok I need a bit of help here now, I got them scanned by London Drugs, Which IMO were pathetic scans for the price. They blew the highlights in my favorite picture, And they are Incredibly grainy for the Film speed! So I want to know if I buy a flatbed scanner (with transparency holder) if the Scans will look as good as or better than these ones (Which They charged me 2.99 for each scan!)
    This is about the resolution I would be looking for (around 6 MP, then I can print up to 12x18's no prob)

Heres the Scans, and then My "digitization". (Posting these at full res so you can click the link and see the difference). My method isn't actually that bad it seems. (That or their scanner sucks, Exif calls it Noritsu Koki - QSS-32_33)

05190005.jpg

And my pic
    knxtree.jpg

05190006.jpg

and my pic
    35.jpg

05190004.jpg

And my pic
    trees.jpg

11. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Their scans look much better than yours, there is a significant amount more DR and resolution which are the most important things front a scan IMO. The rest (contrast, colour etc.) can be altered quite easily in post processing.

12. I won't argue that my way is better, Its just I wonder if I can do a better job myself (Since I control the output and the exposure) With a Flatbed scanner.

London Drugs is much much sharper, But I don't see much of an increase in Dynamic Range like you say, Especially in the first shot. Since it looks like they just cranked the Shadow slider in Photoshop, and then overexposed the pic...

The motocross pic on the other hand is a great scan, Just still very noisy IMO...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.