Venetian report (now with) images...

Hello everyone.
Due to work, i'm spending a couple of weeks in western Veneto, ranging from Mantua to Vicenza and having Verona as a base camp. I wanted to share a couple of thoughts - and more will come next days - about the places i'm going to visit.
today I was in Vicenza, whose name is strictly related with Palladio and whose color is definitely "white" or "pearl/ivory white". You get it immediately, entering its main street, Corso Palladio - where most buildings share this color unconsciously giving you the impression of a cleaner and larger space. Well done. However, more or less like Parma, i'd define Vicenza a "linear" city, giving you a sense of balance which is never boring and overall pleasing but that sometimes limits its potential.
Verona is MUCH different, and not because of Romeo and Juliet.
it has much more contrasts, interesting sights ans perspectives, little and narrow alleys where houses clearly show different influences both from northern countries as you see in Bolzano, but also from Venice and its eastern legacy, whatever legacy and influence may mean here. Yet there's a clear downside and this makes the city somehow less linear and more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, while houses reveal interesting architectures, it's clear they totally miss in terms of "colors" which are basically off, pale and dull and often balconies have rusted or badly kept pieces. My impression however is that if a serious restoration of the city would be done, you would really have a winner here. From the famous church/abbey of St. Zeno to the castle uniting with a large and fortified bridge the two sides of Adige River to the famous Arena whose merit is being built in a large square that values its size, to the alleys and the Romeo and JUliet, the Dome etc. You have a lot to see.

Something that unexpectedly got my attention was the last part of Via Mazzini, where a few shops attract customers by means of ...perfume! Yes, right, a decise and pleasant perfume spreads clearly in the street, forcing you to turn your eyes to understand where does it come from. In the same main street the pavement is entirely in red and white marble. Go figure how expensive it must be !

Very interesting, Dino. I have been to Verona and Mantua, but I don't remember visiting Vicenza. Maybe I'll put it on the list for a future trip.

I especially remeber the Pallazo Ducale in Mantua, and I always picture it when I see/hear Rigoletto!

Have you visited Bolgna (other than the stazione :smile:)? I spent quite a bit of time there in the 80's at the Faculty of Engineering, and remember it fondly.

Ciao Pa
actually I have of Bologna less interest than Verona. The area around the station looks spread to a good part of the historical center and I didn'tlike it at all. While I have nothing against this or that, I found a lot of dirty on the sidewalks and the buildings exteriors. Parma vs Bologna is night and day in comparison. Rather, from what I saw, the area behind Bologna (and its Colli / its "hills") looks very promising and much more interesting for landscapers and photographers looking for a quiet and pleasant living.

Dear Pa
another few lines for you.
Today I took a couple of friends to Bologna railstation because they had to take the bus for their home land, Macedonia. We went by car - leaving also quite early because of the saturday traffic going toward the sea. Well, we passed through the south-western part of the city (the one confining with Casalecchio di Reno) and as I suspected it was night and day compared to the station area. Lot of green and clean and open spaces, it seemed to me to be almost in the country. A place where I coudln't go today is the sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca, dominating the city from the hill behind it. I will.

Dino-

I agree that the area around the Stazione leaves much to be desired. Have you visited the Piazza Maggiore ? The Neptune Fountain, the arcades, and the cathedral San Petronio are all quite impressive.

That whole downtown area has much history. As you probably know, the University is considered to be the oldest in Europe.

Ciao Pa
unfortunately I'm afraid the area leaving to be desired expanded slowly almost to Piazza Maggiore where - yes - I was two or three time alongside my adoption process (the "Juvenile court" resides not so far from there) But the cathedral and the not far church of St. Francis have been spared somehow.
Tomorrow another week starts in Verona. I'll let you know as soon as I have other news to report. Being alone and away the whole day for work, I deemed not safe having with me my photo gear, rather only a small AW100 I got when we flew to Ethiopia a couple of years ago.

Finally I'm back home and can share a few pics taken in Vicenza (first), Verona (most of them, included the 4 last ones) and at a sanctuary near Mantua.
Unfortunately, working with a compact p/s isn't for me both for the indirect viewing, the less versatile focusing and set up and the different format I'm used to.
Plus, I suspect this kind of p/s tends to smear pics a bit.

http://italy74.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=30756510&AlbumKey=ZVgJxd

Lyndee, you're too kind, I'd have really wanted to have a much different kind of gear with me; it's time to think of a compact with optical viewfinder and better .jpg output at least. Too many times I was "forced" to choose a less than ideal framing because of the autofocus working only at center and the (unnatural for me) 4:3 image frame. It's good for my wife and occasional shots but I really need something more versatile and adjustable.
Actually I can think of only two p/s, the Sony RX100 M2 and the Panasonic LX7 .. if only Sony was a 24mm and not a 28mm... :rolleyes:
Oh, yes also the future V3 is actually interesting but I'm not sure I want to invest again in a whole system...

Last edited by a moderator:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wonderful images! Maybe not totally pleasing to you, but interesting nonetheless. They appear reasonably sharp and have good color.

Much better to come home with these, than to have none at all! LOL!

Latest threads

Top Bottom