Venice in B&W - My first ever self-developed roll of film.

Following on from my enormously over-hyped, "My fist ever self-developed negative" post :tongue:, I decided to create a whole new thread just to share the other images from that oh so important roll of film.

The film in question was 35mm Fuji Acros 100, cruelly developed in a potent 1/25 mix of Rodinal R09 :131: (I realise now that I could have used a more 'gentle' dilution, but I was just following the instructions on the packet - I'm still learning :wink:). The camera was a Nikon FE and the lenses were all manual focus Nikkor primes.

Enjoy!

Scan_2011_132-1-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Scan_2011_185.jpg

Scan_2011_157-1.jpg

Scan_2011_136-1-1.jpg

Scan_2011_137-1-1.jpg

Scan_2011_163-1.jpg

Scan_2011_135-1-1.jpg

Scan_2011_142-1-1.jpg

(This last one went a bit wrong due to camera shake, but for me it was a 'happy accident', as I really like the feel of the image).

Thanks for looking and (again) thanks a lot to all of you here who encouraged me to get into (first) shooting 35mm film and then to develop and scan my own negs :smile:.

Merry Xmas!

Andy

Nice, Acros is really sharp. I always had some contrast issues, but your stuff looks wonderful. I really need to visit that place one day. And I agree, that last one is almost painterly. Wonderful stuff!

Nice, Acros is really sharp. I always had some contrast issues, but your stuff looks wonderful. I really need to visit that place one day. And I agree, that last one is almost painterly. Wonderful stuff!

Thanks Koen :smile:!

Just two things to say in response:

1. My (Epson V500) scanner appears to be set to automatically pick white and black points and stretch the contrast accordingly, as when I switch off all of the default settings I just get an underexposed mass of grey and black :frown:.

2. Every photographer needs to visit Venice before they die :biggrin:!

Real Name
Chris
... I realise now that I could have used a more 'gentle' dilution, but I was just following the instructions on the packet - I'm still learning :wink:

I dunno - whatever you did got some very luxurious tones. I love all the black you sprayed around - EXCELLENT first roll!

8.[/B]
Scan_2011_142-1-1.jpg

(This last one went a bit wrong due to camera shake, but for me it was a 'happy accident', as I really like the feel of the image).

I like it too Andy. It has the feel of an impressionist charcoal drawing. Very appropriate to the subject!

A great series! No apologies needed. The last one was really terrific! I haven't used much ACROS, but you have shown how sharp the stuff can be. Keep it coming!

I dunno - whatever you did got some very luxurious tones. I love all the black you sprayed around - EXCELLENT first roll!

I like it too Andy. It has the feel of an impressionist charcoal drawing. Very appropriate to the subject!

Hi Chris!

Thanks very much for the strong words of encouragement. I wasn't quite sure what you meant by 'all the black that (I) sprayed around', unless you meant the borders on 3 and 8 :confused:!? If so, that black is just the edge of the negative - I cropped those two wider to show that they had come from 'proper' film and weren't just DSLR output (as using film is still a novelty for me :wink:). Perhaps you meant something else though!?

Also, a 'charcoal drawing' is a very good way to describe the look of #8 :smile:. I wrote on another forum that it reminded me of an oil painting, until some bright spark pointed out that oil paintings are very seldom black & white :tongue:.

Venice is a wonderful city. I was there in Spring. The last one is actually my favorite.

Yes, I think that I probably like the last one best too - at least is has more 'character' than the rest :wink:.

A great series! No apologies needed. The last one was really terrific! I haven't used much ACROS, but you have shown how sharp the stuff can be. Keep it coming!

Thanks Michael!

I will indeed 'keep it coming'. Next up will be a roll of T-Max 400, which I am just about to go out and finish shooting now (to develop tomorrow). The subject matter won't be anything very exciting though, just general vistas of the city I live in and whatever abstracts I can find in two hours (before it gets dark :cool:).

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to post their thoughts. It's this kind of feedback which keeps the hobby interesting for me :smile:.

Andy

Very nice set, Andy. I love the look of these - especially 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7.

I agree with the recommendation for people to visit Venice - it's a very unique locale.

Thanks Gordon :smile:!

Venice is certainly very special and an ideal place to take ISO100 film as well, as the light is pretty good most of the year round (unlike where I live, where I generally need something faster to combat the grey skies :tongue:).

Looks like stunning results for your first development efforts.
I think many experienced people would be happy with such results.

D

Deleted member 960

Beautiful first offering, congrats! I like the last one, too, as I see Chris singled it out. Gleaming gorgeous tones!

Looks like stunning results for your first development efforts.
I think many experienced people would be happy with such results.

Really!? Wow, high praise indeed, thank you very much :smile:! Of course, it could just be 'beginner's luck' :wink:.

I intend to try another roll ASAP and develop it in a weaker dilution next time, in the hope of cutting back a little on the grain.

Beautiful first offering, congrats! I like the last one, too, as I see Chris singled it out. Gleaming gorgeous tones!

Thanks Bill :smile:!

Yes, the last one is really growing on me and the 'camera shake' issue that I mentioned is not really the main contributing factor to the blurriness - it's more the chosen focal point and the wide aperture.

I was trying to focus on the flowers on the left and leave the rest of the image gently OOF, to add a bit of mystery to the figure moving across the bridge. In the second attempt that I made at this (with a different passer-by and in portrait orientation), you can see that the camera held still, as the boat in the foreground is perfectly sharp (although the flowers are still moving in the breeze).

However, this second image has none of the 'magic' of the first shot for me :frown: ...

Scan_2011_152_01-1.jpg

Real Name
Chris
Hi Chris!

Thanks very much for the strong words of encouragement. I wasn't quite sure what you meant by 'all the black that (I) sprayed around', unless you meant the borders on 3 and 8 :confused:!? If so, that black is just the edge of the negative - I cropped those two wider to show that they had come from 'proper' film and weren't just DSLR output (as using film is still a novelty for me :wink:). Perhaps you meant something else though!?

Hey Andy,

What I meant was the preponderance of black in these images. A lot of first film tends toward middle gray, and these smack right up against the black end of the scale. I like that - it adds a lot of drama. All of this set have that. Take the picture of the sardines on ice. Pretty mundane subject, but the way you have portrayed it, it's exciting!

When we work with B&W, the paper (or screen) starts out white, so what we add to it is black. You are very bold in your application of it, and that's a good thing.

Excellent work, the contrast you got from this film/dev is really good.

I can remember doing my first roll a few years back, it made me pretty nervous.

I don't think the final img was ruined by shake, I agree with Chris and think that it gave it an interesting, creative look.

Hey Andy,

What I meant was the preponderance of black in these images. A lot of first film tends toward middle gray, and these smack right up against the black end of the scale. I like that - it adds a lot of drama. All of this set have that. Take the picture of the sardines on ice. Pretty mundane subject, but the way you have portrayed it, it's exciting!

When we work with B&W, the paper (or screen) starts out white, so what we add to it is black. You are very bold in your application of it, and that's a good thing.

You see Chris, I thought that you meant something other than the black around the border, but I couldn't figure of just what - now I completely understand :wink:! Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder how much of the final look of these scans has to do with the scanner actually :Curved:!? The histogram always seems to be very well spread out (although never maxed out at either end) and with a distinct high 'hump' which is cut off just before the black end of the scale. I suspect that my scanner (Epson V500) maps white and black points automatically and adjusts contrast accordingly to give the maximum dynamic range, as nearly all of the shots I've scanned seem to have great contrast levels.

I take your point about them being a bit 'black heavy', but I rather like that too, so I count myself lucky that they all seem to come out this way :smile:.

Excellent work, the contrast you got from this film/dev is really good.

I can remember doing my first roll a few years back, it made me pretty nervous.

I don't think the final img was ruined by shake, I agree with Chris and think that it gave it an interesting, creative look.

Thanks a lot Robert, I'm very grateful to be receiving such positive feedback :smile:. I read a few posts here (IIRC), which suggested that Acros 100 and Rodinal R09 were good bedfellows - based on this one experience, I would have to agree.

Also, I will freely admit that I was pretty nervous about develpoing this first roll, especially as the timings are so critical and I was struggling to get the lid on and off of the Paterson tank and the chemicals in and out at all of the right moments. It's actually a pretty hectic procedure when you have a short developing time and four lots of chemicals to deal with (I used an anti-streaking agent after the final rinse :wink:). Still, it's another string to my bow and might even lead to dabbling with larger film formats one day :biggrin:.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom