Venting

These are from a recent trip to Yellowstone. An earlier/later time of day for less harsh light would have been better, but I didn't get to set the itinerary for this trip. That job was taken my traveling companion - my 8 year old son. But there will be return trips in the future - there is just so much to see in Yellowstone we're already planning for our next visit.

As it was, I used a D200 and 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 with a circular polarizer on all of these shots. (I'd really like to upgrade this lens, but haven't narrowed my choices yet.)

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

1. 27mm, 1/200, f/8, iso 200
330795317_dnfTe-XL-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. 18mm, 1/250, f/8, iso 200
330800034_HpsET-XL-1.jpg

3. 18mm, 1/125, f/9, iso 200
330810500_KZMfT-XL-1.jpg

4. 52mm, 1/400, f/5.6, iso 200
330827563_EX3td-XL-1.jpg

5. 70mm, 3s, f/29, iso 100, tripod
330833077_2qoYp-XL-1.jpg

Chris,

I love #3. Without the polarizer the detail in the pool would've been lost. You can see some real detail beneath the surface. The 18-70 seems to be just fine.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
wonderful colors, keep that lens for a while, it did well, and you did too even with midday light, Might try staying a bit lower next to the pools while on the boardwalks, gives a nice perspective,

Cheers, and thanks for posting.

Wade

R

Ron S

Those are great, you got the color and tone right on :) I love Yellowstone, been there 3 times but it's been years, now I really wanna go there again after seeing your pics. Nice job!

Chris,

I love #3. Without the polarizer the detail in the pool would've been lost. You can see some real detail beneath the surface. The 18-70 seems to be just fine.

Thank you, Joe. Yes, the CP really was nice to have for these shots. I was disappointed when the breezes picked up causing ripples on the surface (as you can see in #2 ) that reduced visibility in the pools.

wonderful colors, keep that lens for a while, it did well, and you did too even with midday light, Might try staying a bit lower next to the pools while on the boardwalks, gives a nice perspective,

Cheers, and thanks for posting.

Wade

Thank you for the complements and suggestion about staying low. I appreciate it! I'd someday like to pick up something a little faster and sharper, but I'm not pulling my hair out while using 18-70...

great series
#3 is my favorite, as well

Thank you, Greg.

very nice series

Thank you, Dave.

Those are great, you got the color and tone right on :) I love Yellowstone, been there 3 times but it's been years, now I really wanna go there again after seeing your pics. Nice job!

Thanks, Ron. The colors were hard to believe even as I stood there looking at them. The place is so unreal...And I know what you mean about wanting to go back. I can't wait for my next trip!

From these shots, I'm not sure what you'd UPgrade to. These are great.

Thank you, Dr A. I'll just keep my eyes open for a faster lens, but for now I'm not complaining.

Just perfect shooting Chris:wink:
sal

Thank you, Sal. I appreciate it!

Beautiful! I hope we can visit there some day! Is that water in the blue/gold pool hot? I've heard about "Old Faithful" but don't know anything more about it. Hope you can post more?

Thanks, Dianne. I'm glad you like these.

As I understand it, the water in the colorful pools is hot but not to the point that the bacteria that give the surfaces their color cannot survive. I don't know if the temperatures in the pools would be cool enough to make for a nice soak or not though. :wink:

But if you ever do go to Yellowstone keep in mind that Old Faithful is only one of hundreds of geothermal features that you can easily visit. And to me, OF was not even close to being the most interesting of these features...

The rest of my photos from this trip are at my smugmug site at http://cmcneave.smugmug.com/gallery/5407826_KSYEV/1/330789882_5GS52

great shots Chris
the 18-70 is an underrated lens, esp. for landscapes and on a tripod,IMO
I used one in Maine a couple of weeks ago and it did very well, as did you and yours

J

jamesclarke

These shots are great. They really tempt me into getting a c-pol.

I see nothing wrong with these images so your lens is doing well. Obviously, if you need more reach on each end, then you need something else but still I would keep the 18-70.
As I said, nothing wrong with these beautiful images.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Fantastic series of photos. There are many who think the Nikon 18-70 is a pretty good lens. Well, you certainly have proven it to be a lot more than,"pretty good." It was the first digital lens I purchased (came in a kit with the D70), and although I have aquired a few other fine pieces of nikon glass, the 18-70 remains one of my favorite walk around lenes. Kepp shooting these great photos.

O

Ol-Jerr

I wouldn't upgrade that lens if it were me. The only problem I have with mine is I get a little vignette when at 18mm and a polarizer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom