Version 1 vs Version 11, is it hype ?

I am considering buying a 70-200mm f2.8. Is the new version really better than the older one or is it hype to put up the price ?
(I can't believe that the 300mmf2.8 V11 can be any better than the V1 I have already.)
Any thoughts would be appreciated. A used version 1 can be bought for 60-70% of the price of a new one, but you don't get a 5 year warranty buying used !
Thanks in anticipation cheers Dave

V2 is said to be better at the edges if you use an FX camera. It doesn't matter if you use a DX.

V2 focuses closer than V1 but at some distances it is not truly 200mm.

Hi Dave, I shoot both...here's my take:

VR I sharper in center, nicer bokeh, soft corners/slight vignette on FX.
VR II better in the corners and takes the TC-14E II like it's not even there.
I shoot it wide open (FX) when my rodeo access is limited and it's amazing.
Most of my shooting is with the tried and true VR I. You won't be disappointed. :biggrin:

The VRII has the best VR of any Nikon lens I've ever used. I can consistently nail shots at 200mm, 1/5 handheld. I think the VR1 has ever so slightly better bokeh.

The 300/2.8 VRII has the same optics as the VRI. Nikon upgraded the VR system and raised the price by alot. I think it was mainly a way to raise the price without getting the customers upset.

The 70-200VRII on the other hand is an entirely new lens optically. It is superb and well worth the price for a FX camera. On DX it is less clear where the VRI was already a great performer.

I shoot DX and upgraded to the VR II, knowing that improved corners wouldn't help me. I've not regretted it one bit. The VR II is sharper where it really counts for me -- 200mm @ f/2.8. My VR I had been recently serviced by Nikon so I knew it wasn't a bad copy.

i truly believe copy variation with the VR1 will be the answer. my VR1 copy equaled of bettered several copies of the VR2, everywhere except the corners. now to be honest, i went thru 4 copies of the VR1 before choosing my copy. the other copies were all over the place. two were obviously softer than my copy at any FL over 150mm. one copy was weird, where it was sharpest AND had the least vignetting at 200mm and got progressively worse going towards 70mm!

its an action lens for me, the so the better VR system is neither here nor there. the focal length didnt bother me with the VR2. what did bother me was the price differential.:tongue:

Real Name
Colin Carter
I cannot find a single instance where my 70-200 VR1 was better than my VRII, the VR2 has faster AF, its sharper edge to edge at all focal lengths, has much lower vignetting on Fx, and has better handling because of the revised shape barrel.

the 300 VRII is a different proposition. If you have the 300VR then there is absolutely no reason to upgrade, they are basically the same in AF speed and optical performance. I had the 300VR V1 and sold it for the 200-400 which was a big regret. I now have the 300VRII so have used both lenses extensively and there is no difference in photos taken with either lens. The 300VR VI has just about the best image quality and fastest focusing of any lens Nikon lens made so there was not much that could be improved. the Nano coat has added better flare resistance but if you always use the lens hood its a non issue. The VR11 has a better VR system but they are both great anyway.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I shall go for the VR11 as both faster AF and the extended guarantee make it more attractive. cheers Dave

Real Name
Randy
V2 is a noticeable improvement on AF speed and how it takes a TC

the rest is often too close to tell

BUT if I shot dx or was on a budget i'd pick a used V1

Thanks Randy. The TC is also very important. I have decided to make this my "hiking" lens.
The 300mm f2.8 is a bit too much weight to carry around on the off chance that I might see something.
I am waiting at the to see what happens on the body front, I might get an FX body next ( D700 successor??) so better to prepare in advance and cover the options !
The order has been placed for a V11, currently on "backorder". I am going to the Farne Islands in June so hopefully I will have it by then !

Real Name
Randy
Thanks Randy. The TC is also very important. I have decided to make this my "hiking" lens.
The 300mm f2.8 is a bit too much weight to carry around on the off chance that I might see something.
I am waiting at the to see what happens on the body front, I might get an FX body next ( D700 successor??) so better to prepare in advance and cover the options !
The order has been placed for a V11, currently on "backorder". I am going to the Farne Islands in June so hopefully I will have it by then !

so I am (going to Farn in June, with Colin and then on to Scotland)....
we should try to meet

the 70-200 is perfect there for the terns and actually it was Colin's 70-200 V2 that I used last year when I realized how mich faster it AFed than the V1

are you going to the Bempton Cliffs as well ?
Whitby is another amazing place to visit, shoot and eat fish
I can hardly wait to go

another good hiking/bird lens is the 300/4, in fact lately if i know i won't need 420mm i will take the 300/4 and leave the 300vr at home...
i don't like the 300/4 so much with a TC but at 300mm and stopped down a little it is hard to tell it from the 300vr

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom