1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Versions Help

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Terry M., Aug 24, 2008.

1. Odell says that one of NX2's most powerful features is the ability to save multiple versions of the same image, all inside a single NEF file.

I can easily see the obvious uses of this feature - storing a black and white version, or different crops conveniently saved with the master NEF.

What I'd like to know is what other typical versions do you save with your original NEF? Also, I erroneously thought that you could save a JPEG as one of the versions but can't find a way to do that. Is it possible? Thanks!

2. Hi, Terry! Glad to see that you're working, ahem, enjoying your way through NX. :biggrin:

That might be my fault Terry. I originally told you that and I think we discussed later that I was wrong. As Tom mentioned, you can't save a version using the JPEG format.

However, I have discovered a helpful nuance thanks to a thread here at the Cafe. You can do the following:

1) Open a NEF and save a version within the NEF.
    2) Save it as a JPEG but keep the file open after saving it.
    3) Access the versions and you'll see that your version name is still there because it's in RAM.
    4) Save the file as a NEF. At that point you have a JPEG saved with all of your versions though the extension is .NEF. I can't remember for sure, but I think the file extension actually becomes .JPG.NEF

3. Tom and Mike,

Thanks for the replies. I did something earlier today between View and Capture that I don't understand what happened. I worked on a NEF and saved the NEF then did a Save As and made a JPEG. Later today I went back into View and tried to open up the NEF in Capture. I got a warning that I had both a NEF and a JPEG of the same image and it offered me the option of opening one, the other, or both. Not sure what I did, but if I can duplicate, it might actually achieve something pretty neat.

I'm learning the hard way to save my NEF before doing the Save As JPEG. I've lost count of the number of pictures that I opened up in Capture thinking I could tweak it a bit more, only to find that I only had a JPEG and the NEF was the original with none of my work. UGHHH! Still learning....

4. What method did you use to open it? I'm very confused.

5. I didn't know that. That's very cool. Thanks, Tom!

By the way, I haven't tried recreating the .jpg.neg extensionsion whether in upper or lower case. I remember making a mistake recently and saw that extension, much to my surprise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.