Very First Photo Shoot

Hi Cafe,

So I just had my very first photo shoot. The way this happened was, I got a call asking if I could take pictures of kids and a mom, for a Father's Day gift. A little over an hour later, I was setup in my living room and the clients arrived. Let me just say, the kids were wild and crazy! And we're not kid people. :eek: My wonderful wife was trying to keep the peace between them as I shot and shot and shot. About an hour later the session was over, and my wife and I watched as the sugar-induced tornado left our house in pieces. Below are some of the final images that were given to the client. Please any C&C in definately encouraged and welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks-
Little Cub

family1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

family2.jpg

family3.jpg

family4.jpg

family5.jpg

family6.jpg

family7.jpg

I have done the crazy/un disciplined kids thing myself a few times. It is amazing what kids are allowed to do these days. Anyway, you did the right thing. Shoot, shoot, shoot and maybe a few will be ok. Good job on a tuff situation.

Thanks Ponykilr, I was very tense, and I tried something different by adding a second strobe with a gel to illuminate the backdrop. Any suggestions on how best to "shoot" (ha ha) kids ie. manual, auto? I shot all manual which I prefer, but I wonder if I would have shot in auto if I would have had more images to work with.

Pretty good job under the circumstances that you described. Image #2 in your post is beautiful. I did a similar shoot 2 weeks ago with one child. Even with one child, it took 80 some shots to get a full family portrait with Mom, Dad, Grand-mom, the child, AND the dog. :smile:

Thanks Frede, I appreciate the compliment. I would be interested in seeing the outcome of your shoot! Any tips on how you lit your family?

Thanks for the comment Connie. I do wish I had more space so that I could have had more separation form the backdrop. Along with the bright colors that the kids were wearing it does seem a little distracting. Next time I plan on using more than one backdrop and time to consult with the clients on what they will be wearing.

Little Cub

Cub, I shoot 99% in Aperture Priority and auto focus. There is 100 years of photography "know how" built into every DSLR, I use it. I prefer to control my DOF and let the camera worry about exposure. Unless of course I need to compensate for snow or a black background or something else that can fool the sensor.

I only shoot in Manual Mode for certain effects on "non-animated" subjects:smile:

Kids can e a lot of fun. They can also be a bad day. I usually just try to chase them around and hope for a good capture cause if they dont want a picture, they wont give you a chance.

If I had unruly kids and the parent wanted photos. I would tell them straight out, they behave or no shoot. Period.

Ya did good with what you had to work with

Thanks for the advice Ponykilr. I am going to try shooting in Aperture Priority to see the difference. It makes sense, I can't tell you how fast I was turning my lens and adjusting for exposure. Whew!

Gale, thank you for the compliment! You are absolutely right, I should have thought of saying something about behaving. I think I just excited about getting a shoot. I will however keep that advice for the future.

Little Cub

Latest threads

Top Bottom