Very limited knowledge of birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Terri French, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    My little grandson is very interested in birds. I bought a bird feeder that attached to a window with suction cups. We can watch the birds feeding from my family room. Here are two we saw today.

These were taken from inside the house through the window. Not the best setup.....

I think they are some kind of finch, but I don't know for sure. Can anyone tell me what type of bird they are.

original.

View attachment 88571

View attachment 88572

2. looks like a house finch Terri but they are great what ever it is! super sharp and it had to be great fun

3. I believe you will find it is a house finch Terri

Nice Set

4. spruce

spruce Guest

agree, on the house finch ID

5. Terri, these are beautiful portraits of a lovely bird.

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks, all. Now I can tell Jaden what kind of birds they are. I thought they were probably house finches, but what do I know......

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Phil.
    Thanks, glad you liked them.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
  9. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Excellent!! Bet he got pretty excited!!
    BTW Terri, you have some great shots of the babies on your pbase!!!

10. Terri,
    Great shots - print some up big for Jaden!

In the mid 70's, when he was about 18 months old, my oldest son was totally fascinated with our stereo system and the accompanying headphones. It seemed he would never leave the equipment alone. In exasperation, we showed him how to used it properly, cautioning him about the volume. After that he would sit for hours listening and reading/looking at his books, patiently waiting for his favorit somng to replay - "Music Box Dancer" (Not the Elton John one - the piano one)

Have you considered letting Jaden "operate" the camera with supervision to take his own photographs of the visiting birds? It would be a great opportunity to get him "hooked" and get yourself a future shooting buddy...

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks, Trish. I sure am having fun with them.

Good idea. I would love a shooting buddy. I'll have to try that.

12. What a great idea, Terri - having fun, and teaching him about nature all at the same time. Great shots.

13. Watch out Terri, looks like you are getting the bird bug. Great shots.

14. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Terri,

What lens did you use? These are great images. I try my 200/2.0 at the glass, but it often scares the birds!

15. Terry you have very clean windows No fair useing a Thermopane filter:smile: :smile: Very nice photos.
    Lou

16. What you got here is some very nice shots of a House Finch. Nicely done.

Louie

17. What you got here is some very nice shots of a House Finch. Nicely done.

Louie

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    It is fun. But I've got to learn about it before I can teach him!

Well, only if they are a few feet away and I can shoot them from my family room!:biggrin: I can't afford those big birding lenses.

I used the 70-200 VR and stood several feet away from the window.

Well, they really aren't very clean. I've got to get out and work on them.

Yes, I've heard house finch from a few folks now. Glad to know what they are.

19. My sister got in to watching wild birds some years ago. She didn't know, like most of us, what kind of birds she was looking at (some of the more rare ones).

So she bought a "Peterson Field Guide by Roger Tory Peterson, fourth edition."

It has very well done illustrations of every bird in the titled region on the book cover. On one page it has the name of the birds with information on size, sound of its voice (chirp or song), habitat, range, and lots of detail to identify the bird by. The other page has pictures of the bird and its name.

The Peterson Field Guide my sister bought has a ©1980 date on it and I didn't see it listed through Google search, so I think it has been discontinued for an updated version like this. It would be worth it to buy if you're in to birds. :smile: