Very low light wide lens.. which?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, May 12, 2007.

1. Hi all there,

At the moment, I'm well covered (at least I thought that) on the wider end but I could need something faster than F2.8. A friend of mine is going to marry in a very small church, I guess from the photographer to the couple you could have from 3 to 5 meters AT MOST. So, since I'd like to shoot even during the no-flash-allowed time, I'm not sure the 17-35 could be "fast" enough and I'm wondering mainly about these lenses:
    Sigma 30 F1.4 the faster (and "longest" lens)
    Sigma 28 F1.8 (I'd like this lenght and it's also the cheapest of the bunch but I'm not sure about its behaviour in a wedding, plus it could be not wide enough). Having this lens, I could use it also for street photography in other events.
    Sigma 20 F1.8, the widest low light lens there is actually available..

what's your experience with these lenses?
    My main goal is filling the frame with a couple at 3-5 meters: on a digital it's quite close, isn't it?

Thank you and all the best

ps I forgot to mention that I'll have also my film camera, so a wide lens would be good twice if it could work there too.

2. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    15 - 25 feet is farther than most consumer point and shoot flashes go. Do you want head to toe? If not, I'm thinking 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 180 2.8

3. Ciao Zachs,
    probably I won't shoot all from head to toe, but surely I'll need it, sooner or later. Here's the place:
    151905013-O.

Sorry for the bad quality but it's not mine and it's the only hint I have of this church

4. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

The 30mm 1.4 is a superb choice

5. Ciao Ipsofacto,
    the right question is: can it fully frame a couple at 3-5m? I'm persuaded that the 30mm is a very good lens, but I'm not sure is the right one for my needing. Space is a critical factor here.
    Thanks again.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Yes, Paul, you're right, I'm just doing that... sometimes I'm quite stupid, isn't it? Probably, now, the only real help could be knowing about their effective performances, but for what I see, I should go for the 28 or the 20. I'm trying to fit a 1.8m lamp into the frame and 30mm isn't enough, so close.

Thanks again, and sorry :)

8. I just got a Sigma 24mm f1.8, and its actually quite the amazing lens (Not HSM though, and not 1.4 like the 30mm) But its relatively cheap and works on full frame film bodies (24mm is a nice wide angle on film!)
    Sharpness is very impressive (At f1.8) And its macro feature is great to play with! (can focus as close as the tips of the petal hoods!)

9. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I think Sigma make a 20mm f/1.8?

10. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    The 20mm F1.8 Sigma needs to be stopped down a bit to get sharp results.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

for low light u better pick up a D50 or "fast" glass won't do u much good ....;-))