Very rare sighting at a local Dallas area lake.

I went back out to the lake yesterday AM to see the White Pelicans and arrived before sunrise in hopes of taking advantage of the early light.

To my surprise, I came across something unexpected - a single Ruddy Shelduck. These guys are native to India. Some spend time in Europe and South Africa in off seasons. This one was in Dallas, TX.!

I took my wife back to see him/her this morning and he seemed to be trying to blend in with the white geese.

Here's a few images from this chance encounter yesterday. "Bath & Preening followed by a Mosquito for snack.

1st shot was with Z50, 500PF + 1.4xTC. The rest were D500 w/ 500PF.

50483556041_6a492517ae_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50483118918_79024ab081_o.jpg

50483828516_71ae1ba26e_o.jpg

50485865472_45924c9e17_o.jpg

50485715761_e92431e613_o.jpg

50485715896_fb14c02c42_o.jpg

50485715976_64be616c9d_o.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
GReat shots, Phil! #6 is my fav! I really like #1, but the bright reflections at the bottom are distracting to me. A pano-type crop makes it seem like the duck is right in front of me! #7 is nice also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
GReat shots, Phil! #6 is my fav! I really like #1, but the bright reflections at the bottom are distracting to me. A pano-type crop makes it seem like the duck is right in front of me! #7 is nice also.
Thanks Karen. Actually, #1 was close to my favorite from the entire set. The size of the wave he was pushing was very intriguing to me. I'll play with the reflection and top of that wave & see if I can remove some of the detracting properties. ;-)

Your use of the 500PF on both bodies is exceptional!
Thank you John. The 500PF is really one of my favorite lenses. In cases like this, (on a crop body) it can be almost too long, but the weight & maneuverability of it are unmatched.

What a great find, and you've photographed it so well. Excellent series!
Hi Fred. It was a shocker, to say the least. Thank you for the kind words. :)

Very well done. I don't know enough about birds to know which ones are rare. But, that is so exciting for you to find such an unusual one. The photos are great with No. 6 being my favorite.

Great sighting, and photos! I like #1, and 6!
Thank you, Carl. It was quite a pleasant surprise.

Terrific set Phil with #6 being the one that I keep coming back to.
Much appreciated Louis. He (she?) is pretty bold and not afraid of other and seemed to enjoy hamming it up.

Great pictures.
Magnificent duck.
All perfect for me.
Well done PhilM_TX. 🦆
Thanks Bob. It wasn't until he got up aout of the water that I realized he was quite colorful.

Very well done. I don't know enough about birds to know which ones are rare. But, that is so exciting for you to find such an unusual one. The photos are great with No. 6 being my favorite.
Thank you Terri. I really don't either, but I do enjoy learning more whenever I can. ;-)
I knew this one looked different than any I had seem before. Having all the info available in my pocket (iPhone) makes ID easier, in most cases.

nice, is that the lake by the arboritum?
Thanks Phil. As a mater of fact, it is. :cool:

Thanks for posting this wonderful series!
My pleasure Bill. Thank you for the kind words.

Very nice.

From what I've been able to find there are no accepted cases of vagrancy to North America. They are kept in a number of parks and collections so this will be an escaped bird.

QUOTE="bsinc1962, post: 4120099, member: 13092"]
Wonderful set. Always fun to see a bird in areas they're not supposed to be in.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bill. That's certainly one of the perks of our hobby. :)

Great find - you did it justice.
Thank you, very much Allan. That's very kind.

Very nice.

From what I've been able to find there are no accepted cases of vagrancy to North America. They are kept in a number of parks and collections so this will be an escaped bird.
Thanks Larry. I have to agree with you. No other explanation I can think of other than a release from some sort exotic of collector.

I tried tweaking this one, as suggested by Karen.
Not sure this does anything but illustrate my processing inadequacies... Lol...

Real Name
Ken
I tried tweaking this one, as suggested by Karen.
Not sure this does anything but illustrate my processing inadequacies... Lol...

View attachment 1672374
My preference would have been to leave a bit more on the bottom, cutting it off around where the reflection of the breast ended and to consider a rectangular shape, thus taking a bit off of the top as well. I think that this would have addressed a lot of Karen's suggestions regarding the white "hot spots", but still left some of the reflection which gives a bit of a nice mirror effect.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom