Very sad news - Doctor Who's Sara Jane smith died

Those of you who are Doctor Who fans will surely feel a loss at the passing of Elizabeth Sladen. She was a Doctor Who companion back in the 1970's for John Pertwee and Tom Baker. Recently she reprised her role in Doctor Who with David Tennant. She was also the star of a Sara Jane Smith spin off series. http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/04/elisabeth-sladen-obit/

She reportedly had been battling cancer.

Rich

:frown:

Indeed, this is sad news. I'm glad she came back a few years ago in the new DW series. I must say Sarah and Rose were the two best companions.

:frown:
Just started watching Who again after last seeing it during high school (Tom Baker era). Tennant was hilarious. Now we are getting the Matt Smith ones on PBS. Smith seems to need Ritalin. :smile:

No, for the four seasons she worked in the 1970's she was unmarried without kids. In the most recent series the teen age boy was a displaced alien who called her mom. Young, however I would agree. Sixty-three is much too young, except cancer strikes young and old.

Rich

This is very sad news, indeed..... I was never a devout Doctor Who fan but I certainly heard enough about the series throughout its popularity!

Cancer is a cruel disease and as Rich says, strikes anyone, not being discriminating as far as age goes. Sixty-three is at the prime of many people's lives and it is a shame to see hers so cruelly cut short.

Smith seems to need Ritalin. :smile:

He does, doesn't he? :tongue:

Keeps him interesting, at least. He had some big shoes to fill, taking over after Tennant. (Still miss Tennant, but since I like Smith anyway, he must be doing something right.)

It's interesting to see how many Doctor Who fans are coming out of the woodwork in this thread. Here I thought I was all alone. :eek:

Anyway, still sad about Sarah Jane. :frown: I wonder if they'll add an "in memory of" dedication or something to the new episode this weekend.

He does, doesn't he? :tongue:

Keeps him interesting, at least. He had some big shoes to fill, taking over after Tennant. (Still miss Tennant, but since I like Smith anyway, he must be doing something right.)

It's interesting to see how many Doctor Who fans are coming out of the woodwork in this thread. Here I thought I was all alone. :eek:

Anyway, still sad about Sarah Jane. :frown: I wonder if they'll add an "in memory of" dedication or something to the new episode this weekend.

There will be "Something suitable" according to the BBC.

At one point I had every known copy of Doctor Who through Sylvester McCoy. When I converted them to DVD I lost all of Colin Baker and McCoy. We do have all of the new series since 2005 though.

By the way, a caution. I recommend strongly AGAINST buying the latest Doctor Who series in Blu-Ray, starting with David Tennant's "The Waters of Mars." BBC made the decision to code the BDs in 1080i...yes interlaced, instead of 1080P. The video is known to stutter on many Blu-Ray players and there is no known way of decoding them if you Rip your own disks. When you play the ripped copy there is sound but no video. They use VC-1 encoding. Of course if you don't convert them to disk it may not be a problem...unless your player encounters stuttering.

Rich

At one point I had every known copy of Doctor Who through Sylvester McCoy. When I converted them to DVD I lost all of Colin Baker and McCoy. We do have all of the new series since 2005 though.

By the way, a caution. I recommend strongly AGAINST buying the latest Doctor Who series in Blu-Ray, starting with David Tennant's "The Waters of Mars." BBC made the decision to code the BDs in 1080i...yes interlaced, instead of 1080P. The video is known to stutter on many Blu-Ray players and there is no known way of decoding them if you Rip your own disks. When you play the ripped copy there is sound but no video. They use VC-1 encoding. Of course if you don't convert them to disk it may not be a problem...unless your player encounters stuttering.

Rich

Thanks for the caution...although in my case, it doesn't matter. No Blu-Ray, unless you count my computer. :rolleyes:

It's so nice to know I'm not alone! :biggrin:

Here's one of my Flickr galleries, just for my Whovian friends:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmrosner/sets/72157623176376827/

I suggest clicking through rather than the slideshow, so you get the associated captions and comments. :wink:

I was a fan back when it was Tom Baker, but got away from it for many years. I came back when it was Tennant...he's my Doctor now.

It's killing me that I'll be at a friend's house this weekend...WITH NO CABLE!! :eek:

I have to wait until SUNDAY now! I'm not a big TV person and usually don't care about lack of TV...but I hate missing new Who. Think of me while you're catching the first show of the new season! :frown:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom