1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Vesak Day in Singapore

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by yoda1975, May 31, 2007.

1. yoda1975

yoda1975

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    yesterday (local time in SG :biggrin: ) was Vesak Day - one of the holiest day in the Buddhist's calendar. i had a chance to participate in a photo clinic cum workshop organised by a photo school in Singapore. we spent a better part of the morning shooting in 2 Buddhist temples in SG.

here are 3 pictures from yesterday. i very much appreciate good critique on how to improve (or should i just junk them) the shots because i am hoping to submit them to the school as a end-of-project submission. :tongue:

#1 - Devotion. The lady is performing the "3 steps, 1 prayer' before entering the main hall of the temple.

[​IMG]

#2 - Guanying; the goddess of Mercy.

[​IMG]

#3 - Monks in morning light. Shot this just before they entered the main prayer hall.

[​IMG]

thanks, folks!

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm quite taken with shots 1 and 3 ! The shadows in the first really give it a contemplative and austere feeling, and the hard light on the shoulder of one monk while the others are less lit is quite evocative.

John P.

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

1 & 3 are very dramatic and interesting. The person following the flag shadow (?) is very nice.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi sam-

great shots, i like the composition and colors. never heard of vesak day, i'll have to look it up.

ricky

5. yoda1975

yoda1975

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    thanks, John! sadly, for a 4hrs shooting trip, only #3 was a keeper out of 70+ shots... dang. i gotta improve my hit rate. :frown:

yes! the flags are actually prayer flags being hung outside the temple.

hi, ricky!

hehe... can read up abt vesak day on wikipedia. it's quite a big festival for the Buddhists here in Singapore. :biggrin:

any more comments on how to improve the pics will be greatly appreciated! i'm inclining to submit #1 and #3 to the school. :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.