Vesak Day in Singapore

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by yoda1975, May 31, 2007.

1. yoda1975

yoda1975

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    yesterday (local time in SG :biggrin: ) was Vesak Day - one of the holiest day in the Buddhist's calendar. i had a chance to participate in a photo clinic cum workshop organised by a photo school in Singapore. we spent a better part of the morning shooting in 2 Buddhist temples in SG.

here are 3 pictures from yesterday. i very much appreciate good critique on how to improve (or should i just junk them) the shots because i am hoping to submit them to the school as a end-of-project submission. :tongue:

#1 - Devotion. The lady is performing the "3 steps, 1 prayer' before entering the main hall of the temple.

[​IMG]

#2 - Guanying; the goddess of Mercy.

[​IMG]

#3 - Monks in morning light. Shot this just before they entered the main prayer hall.

[​IMG]

thanks, folks!

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm quite taken with shots 1 and 3 ! The shadows in the first really give it a contemplative and austere feeling, and the hard light on the shoulder of one monk while the others are less lit is quite evocative.

John P.

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

1 & 3 are very dramatic and interesting. The person following the flag shadow (?) is very nice.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi sam-

great shots, i like the composition and colors. never heard of vesak day, i'll have to look it up.

ricky

5. yoda1975

yoda1975

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    thanks, John! sadly, for a 4hrs shooting trip, only #3 was a keeper out of 70+ shots... dang. i gotta improve my hit rate. :frown:

yes! the flags are actually prayer flags being hung outside the temple.

hi, ricky!

hehe... can read up abt vesak day on wikipedia. it's quite a big festival for the Buddhists here in Singapore. :biggrin:

any more comments on how to improve the pics will be greatly appreciated! i'm inclining to submit #1 and #3 to the school. :tongue: