Vest Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbirdsong, Jul 3, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I mentioned that I had purchased a fishing vest a couple weeks ago to use as a photo vest since no one makes one that is big enough for big guys like me.
    Well after a very full week of using it while on vacation, I can report that I wish I had purchased it years ago.
    It has been very warm this past week and it wasn't overly warm on any of the photo outings.
    Saturday I spent close to 6 hours walking around Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. and it sure was better than the camera bag or backpack I would have taken.
    this is a self portrait of me with it at the end of the day yesterday.
    [​IMG]

What you don't see in that picture is the SB800 flash, the 70-200 F2.8 lens, several filters, the 32oz souvenir glass, 2 bottles of water or the Kodak Z740 PS 10x camera (well that was used to take this one, but it was in the front pocket most of the day when I wasn't using it too.)
    It was heavy but comfortable to wear. Yet when I got to the car, it sure was nice to take it off. (There were a couple times during the day that I took a rest and took it off)

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

Looks like you have found a good solution to a problem that we all have. I'm still using a medium shoulder bag, and it works for most situations, but still isn't perfect.

Thanks for the update.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow, was it really comfortable with heavy glass like 70-200vr in a pocket? Glad you found a system that works for you. I share your dislike for a photo backpack, my experience has been that having a bunch of gear with you is only useful if it's easily accessible.

I too have recently decided to try a photo vest, but I'm not carrying everything in the vest. I'm wearing a Kinesis belt with two pouches, one for the 70-200VR and another that holds 3 lenses. Then I can put a flash, a small lense, filters, WhiBal, extra batteries, etc in the misc photo vest pockets. For hiking I also wear a camelbak since I'm big on hydration. Today was my first real hike with this configuration. Unfortunately it was really hot, high 90's if not 100+ degress and the trail we hiked didn't have much shade. The vest definitely made me hotter than I would have been otherwise, but then again I would have been sweating like crazy no matter what I was wearing. I do think this configuration will work well for me though, I can carry pretty much everything I would want in the field and have easy access.

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

First let me clear up something, I didn't have a VR lens in my pocket. It is a Sigma 70-200 EX HMS F2.8. But if you or anyone else would care to provide me with one to try out for few years I would be very happy to give it a try. :D

What make this vest so nice is that it is a mesh vest, made for warm weather.
    While I wish it was a little longer and had 2 pockets that were a little bigger I am very pleased with it.
    In case you didn't see the original post on it, here is the link
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=6071&highlight=

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That looks very nice for the price. I like the length of it, but I wonder just how much can be put in the pockets.

Dave

6. I take your point, Dave.

The vest is very light - practically weightless - but I don't think the pockets will be big enough - or protective enough - to carry lenses.

But there are enough of them of various sizes to carry all the peripherals: mobile phone, car keys, small change, lens caps, lens brush, filters, sunglasses, pencil, notepad etc.

That means you can concentrate on carrying the camera and attached lens around your neck safe in the knowledge that the bits and pieces are easily to hand.

7. Dave,
    Thanks for the update. I bought a Campco vest from B&H, but it hasn't had a real test yet in the field.