Vey Cold~Very Low Light at The Beach

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Nov 23, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    It was 29 degrees and the wind was blowing at about 30mph...which is a good thing because I was already pushing to 640 and I was at 1/200 and below...not a good thing on moving subjects with a 500!

I didn't shoot many, but here's three of them. I've begun my long winter of shooting gulls since they are always around and everything else has already left for Florida!

original.

View attachment 19900

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice light Jim.
    what is that clown doing...lolol Scratching in flight??? Thats a first for me to see :>)))))

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Gale

Perhaps I'll start a new fad...flight shots of birds scratching themselves!

4. Nice shots! I like the light on the last two. That first one is certainly unique!

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Jim

I was both dancing around trying to keep that bird in frame, because he attempted this several times, but the wind was blowing him around.....and I was also laughing because it was pretty comical to watch!

6. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Superb lighting,very nice shots.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks RADZ

My favorite light....the first 45 minutes after dawn and the last 45.

Can't beat it :)

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Wow Jim I take back everything I ever said about Gulls !!
    Your really make these birds look special.
    Sweet Work indeed.

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding Jim. I think these are the first gull shots I've seen that I liked. Incredible captures.

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Jim -

Once again you show us all up! All three are great, but I like the first and third best. The first because of the oddball behavior, and the third because of the beeautiful light and the fact that the gull's head is turned a bit so it catches the light too.

So, it's getting cold up there in Mass. If it wasn't so darn cold Terry and I would still be living in Wellesley. Now that we are in Philly and it's starting to get cold here, it's dreams of Arizona..... Right, if we win the lottery! :cool:

Gordon

11. Hi Jim,

Superb as usual. I see you shooting at f/6.3 alot. I find myself doing the same thing, pushing the ISO first. Did you do any noise removal work - they look very clean.

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Rory....

No Noise Removal at all.

I find that ISO 640 and 800 work extremely well in these situations where you have a bright field without many shadows.

Even at 640, these were down below 1/200 which is pushing it with a moving target, a D2X and 500mm!

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Harry and Ben

I always turned the camera away from gulls until I realized a couple of things:

A) The offer really tough exposure situations much of the time and they offer great flight tracking acquisition and practice.

B) The are exceptionally beautiful in flight and they offer up many different angles to shoot them at.

C) They have wonderful personalities and social interactions. If you take the time to study them, they can really keep you amused.

D) There isn't two of them anywhere that are perfectly alike!

14. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Gordon

Today we got 4" of snow and tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 20 degrees and windy.

I'm seriously contemplating finding a MacDonalds near the Vierra Wetlands (I could always mow Harrys yard I suppose :) that wants to hire me!

15. Hey bud, how goes the battle Jim. These shots damn near jump off the page, beautifully done my friend! I take it you like the new firmware :wink:
    Hope your feeling better, owls should be here soooooooooooooon :biggrin:

16. Jim you sure get the most out of the gulls. Love the pose and light.

17. Excellent shots all. You nailed #3 with the ligthing and pose on the gull.

Louie

18. Jim, your shots are always amazing but these are beauties! Love that light in the last two.