Victoria Falls, Zambia

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Oct 16, 2005.

1. We saw Victoria Falls while in Zambia. It is very large with a vertical drop of 350 feet and over a mile wide. All D-70 with 18-70G lens
    Flying over the falls in a helicopter. All the water goes out through a narrow slot at the top right of the photo - @18mm
    [​IMG]

@62mm
    [​IMG]

This is during the dry season. In the wet season, the falls covers the entire length of the gorge, almost from top to bottom in this photo - @18mm:
    [​IMG]

If you looked downriver below the falls you could see the canyon that the falls has cut. The falls are just to the right out of the photo and the exit slot is between the arched bridge and the bottom of the photo (bad window reflections)- @18mm:
    [​IMG]

It was really difficult to shoot from the ground since you had to look up the long narrow canyon to see the falls from the accessable vantage point. - D-70 80-400VR @80mm:
    [​IMG]

Looking from the shore by our hotel (above the falls), you could see the rainbow in the mist from the falls - D-70 80-400VR @90mm
    [​IMG]

Bob & Nan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice.
    Beautiful images.
    Again thank you for sharing this fantastic trip.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow! What an amazing geological formation! I like the one looking up the slot. Let me say it again: wow!

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    That is an amazing place, Bob! Nice shots! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful images from your trip.

5. Bob, Nan, did you get to white-water raft while there?

It's the best experience an -insane- person can have... :wink:

6. Incredible shots Bob very interesting one of the places I have always wanted to see

7. Hi Panos,

We did not white-water raft while there. :eek: Is it something that they offer or that you have done? Even at low water the slot looked very nasty, I can only imagine what it must be like at high water when the entire mile of the canyon is waterfalls.

While we did not do it, also for the insane, you can bungee jump from the middle of the arch bridge seen in the right middle of photo #4.

Our sanity level only gets us into the helicopter to fly over the falls :biggrin:

Thanks for looking,
    Bob & Nan

8. Hi Bob,

WWR in that spot of the planet is a major attraction. People from all over the world go there just for the ride. I haven't done it myself cause the day we were supposed to jump in and let our lifes in the hands of God, there was a major accident with two casualties...

However, it's still in my ToDo list... :wink:

9. I can just imagine how high the water should be in that canyon when the fall is at it's maximum flow.

10. like that... I guess... :wink:

[​IMG]

11. Thank you for sharing those great pictures. I have been there several times and do not have the wonderful images that you captured. Being from that part of the world though i was wondering if you are aware that most of the falls south of that bridge in that first picture are actually in Zimbabwe and the Zambian side only gets the water action during the summer months. It has become a sore point between the 2 countries in recent years due to the unfortunate politics in that region.

12. Hi Warren & Panos,

Warren,
    Other than while flying we stayed on the Zambia side of the falls. For those interested, the arch bridge connects the two countries Zambia and Zimbabwe. The slot for the outflow of the falls in the upper right of the first photo is the border between the countries and I believe the green roofed building at the bottom of that photo is the customs and immigration checkpoint for Zimbabwe. Do you know if the dividing line of the falls itself is the middle of the river or where the slot is?
    One person in our group said he was able to cross the arch bridge and look at the falls from the Zimbabwe side without having to go through the checkpoint. I have not seen his photos, but they would have to be better than what we got on the ground trying to look up the canyon.

Panos,
    Did you take that photo of the falls in high water? That is spectacular! What time of year was it?

Thanks,
    Bob

13. Great shots

Thanks for sharing your photos and the careful explanations. I hope to be able to see this live someday!

14. Bob, unfortunately no... :frown: they are D-Links from a website... (never claimed any rights :rolleyes: )

When I was in the ZZ countries it was back in 1997 and I only had my Nikon SLRs loaded with slide films... :cool:

{hmmm... I have to find these scans...}

15. Yes i believe that bridge represents the actual border between both countries. During high water flows most of the little islands in the river are on the Zimbabwe side. The Zambian side however does have access to the northern calmer flank of the river were all those great hotels are. I guess you must have stayed at one of them.

16. Beautiful images and soooo interesting.

17. Hi Warren,

You are correct, we stayed at the Royal Livingstone Hotel which is the long "necklace" of small white buildings in the trees along the shoreline directly above the active part of the falls in the first photo. There are 10 rooms in each small building and a main building in the center with dining and recreation areas. It is a very classy hotel with nice views of the river.

Bob & Nan

18. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Fabulous shots

Hi

Just came across these shots as new to forum.

Realy stunning - wish they were mine.

Hope yopu dont mind but I played a little with one (5 minutes to spare before I go on holiday for a week)

Hope you like and dont mind - if you do I will of course remove immediately.

best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]