1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Video and stills friendly walk-around for future Z6 owner

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by Xx123456xX, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Xx123456xX

Xx123456xX

Jan 18, 2019
    Houston, TX, USA
    Jake
    After months of deliberation, I have decided that I will switch from MFT to the Z mount. I shipped my GH5 and accessories to KEH, and will probably have the money to get a Z6 within the next two to four weeks.

I will be using the Z6 for both stills and video, but probably slightly more for video, and am looking for a walk-around with good manual focus.

I have narrowed my selection to three lenses:
    1. Nikon S 24-70/4
    2. Nikon AF-S 24-70/4
    3. Nikon AF-S 24-120/4

I know the S is FBW, so its manual focus probably isn’t as good as the other two options, but it’s both native and weather-resistant, something the other two aren’t (or at least aren’t listed as such).

The two main questions I have are:
    1. Is the S’s manual focus at least decent?
    2. Are the AF-S options actually somewhat safe to use in less-than-ideal weather?

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I believe the offer of a free mount Adapter FTZ expires April 27.......

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Xx123456xX

Xx123456xX

Jan 18, 2019
    Houston, TX, USA
    Jake
    Price will be part of the decision, too. The S looks so appealing to me mainly due to the fact that it’s included in a sub $3000 kit. If I go adapted, even getting a used lens will likely put me over $3K. However, I’m wondering if the extra grand will be worth it if I love manual focus that much.

4. You have to decide if the manual focus improvement is worth it over the smaller size, lighter weight, and better optics of the 24-70 f/4 S.

That purely a personal question that you need to answer for yourself.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I'd start with at least one z-Mount lens. That give you 3 right now. 35/1.8, 50/1.8 or 24-70/4. I'd get the 24-70 for it's versatility and weather sealing.

If you want primes, then I'd go adapted for the price. You can go manual focus or AF-S. the focus peaking works well on the Z cameras.

Honestly, I'd this is going to be your main camera, here is what I would consider.

Z6 & 24-70/4 native Z. Then for the longer end look at getting the FTZ adapter and the newer 70-300/4.5-5.6 AF-P VR.

If you'd rather stay prime lens on the longer end, you have many AI/AIS lenses that are great like the 135/3.5, 200/4 or 180/2.8 ED.

6. Xx123456xX

Xx123456xX

Jan 18, 2019
    Houston, TX, USA
    Jake
    Thanks to all.

I’ve decided that I’ll start with the S 24-70/4. Even though I vastly prefer linear manual focus, I don’t mind nonlinear. I’ll probably get F mount primes after my money has replenished.

For the long end, I currently have the FD 300/2.8L and Sigma EOS 600/8 Reflex, so in the meantime I’ll just adapt those, though I might eventually replace the former with the AF-S 300/2.8 VR.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.