Video editing software recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KsJET, Jul 4, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    I have a pile of miniDV and old Hi8 tapes that I need to edit, but haven't gotten around to it. I have burned some to DVDs, but I would like to share clips online and remove a lot of the useless junk. It's just video of my kids, so I don't need anything fancy.

Is there a basic software that I should consider for this? The ability to make photo slide shows with video clips would be a plus, but not necessary.

Thanks!

2. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I love using my Final Cut Studio. The best. Although it need a lot of horsepower to run it.

3. I would suggest Adobe Premier Elements, it is the editor's choice at PC magazine. It should be coming in a new version in the coming months, so if you want to wait for that.

What I dont recommend you buying is what I have: Pinnacle Studio, very buggy and it tends to crasch right before my DVD's are done.

4. I agree with your comments about earlier versions but the updated version 10 is fairly stable and can be bought quite cheaply in the case of 10 SE. The only problem with Pinnacle is all the add-ons cost extra. I've bought Ver 7, 8 and 9 and they could be very unstable but Ver 10 SE was a freebie with a video camera and (after patching) has worked well with no crashes. It's not supported for Vista unfortunately.

Another program I've seen recommended is the Sony video editing program.

Read Amazon reviews to find out how bad Pinnacle products can be!

5. I've videotaped a couple weddings and had no real way to edit the final footage. Fortunately, I've got a friend who has Sony Vegas 7.0 (I think that's the version) and it was amazing. He edited all the footage, and walked me through the process. It was reasonably simple, and produced great results. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's definitely worth the effort.

6. I got 10 as a freebie as well, agree it works better but it is much bigger and slower....

7. irsslex

irsslex Guest

I have Vegas 6.0 and haven't quite figured it out. However, I can highly recomment Nero Vision -- it's really good, really simple (NO learning curve) and very inexpensive --- comes with the Nero 7.0 package -- everything you need for video, pictures, CDs, DVDs, yadda, yadda, yadda. Vegas is not so simple, at least for me.

8. I have used Premiere Elements and now use Premiere Pro. Very good programs but they do require a fair bit of learning curve.

Elements is a good place to start.

JohnG

9. If you have a Mac, use iMovie. Easy and comes with most recent Macs.