1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Video editor

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Carole, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I have a small piece of video that I taped from the TV last night. It was a news program and the local station sent a cameraman to cover our event. I want to edit it so that I can send it to those who didn't get to see it. I thought I'd be able to do this in iMovie, but iMovie doesn't seem to want to import the clip. I had copied the piece from TV onto a DVD, then used Handbrake to convert it to an m4v format.

Any suggestions on software I can use to do this? The footage is only a minute or so long, and I'm looking for something I can download, preferably for free as this is probably the only time I'll ever use it.

Thanks,
    Carole

2. Try converting to .dv. The free app MPEG Streamclip will convert to dv format. iMovie seems to like that format best. Also, what version of iMovie are you using. Some older versions are very limited in what they can handle. And, finally, make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed. iMovie (and all the Apple iXXX apps) use the Quicktime engine to render video.

3. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I have iMovie '08 version 7.1.4. I got my iMac in January and it came with it. I also have an older version on my old iBook and I seem to remember being able to edit video a lot easier on that. I just want to clip a bit off the beginning and the end.

I'll try converting it and I'll see what happens.

Thanks,
    Carole

4. What happens when you open the m4v file in iMovie?

5. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    iMovie won't import it at all.

Carole

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.