Video hosting sites - looking for alternative to youtube - better quality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stayathomedad, Aug 21, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I just uploaded a family video from iMovie to youtube...

The quality is only so-so...

Are there any alternatives to youtube that you would recommend If I wanted a bit more quality in the video?

2. I went through the same exercise today, and was also disappointed with the results, but I think it is not really YouTube's problem, but a problem of video compression in general. If I look specifically at the video I uploaded, it was around 90Meg for a 5 minute clip, which contained high quality images and a sound track. If I compare that to saving the same files to play locally on my machine, or on a DVD player, it will take more than 10 times the space for the same clip.

Now most people don't want to download files of such capacity, or stream them over their internet links, so I think the barrier will remain until we have much faster internet services to the home/office.....

Having said that, I would also be very interested to hear if other people have come across some higher quality services :biggrin:

3. smugmug supports "DVD quality" (640x480) videos of up to 2.5 minutes each for "power users," and "HD video" (1280x720) of up to 5 minutes each for "pro" users.

Certainly not free, but a lot of folks are happy with smugmug for sharing their photos, and the video quality is much better than YouTube (320x240).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.