1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Video lighting...will one fit in my hot shoe?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by D300fan, Aug 4, 2009.

1. D300fan

D300fan

Mar 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Good evening all,

I'm looking at using a video light for some of my shoots, and would like to find one that I can put in the hot shoe of my camera, as well as the unit having a self contained power system (AA batteries, etc.). Someone recommended the brand Cool Lux....don't know anything about them. Anyone one have ideas or suggestions?

Regards
    G

2. Wileec

Wileec Guest

You would be far better served with a good speedlight. Video doesn't require the same volume of light, depending how large the scene, as photography and good continuous light sources are always much more expensive than flash (speedlight or strobe) based ones.

3. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    I agree, it seems doomed. Better test once with a 100 watt desk lamp first, just to understand just how weak 100 watts is. We have 100 watt light bulbs in our indoor ceiling lights, and they are greatly insufficient for photography, which is why we use flash indoors.

Assuming the shutter speed is 1/100 second, then that is all the light that the camera can see and use. Any continuous 100 watt light will use 100 watts x 1/100 second = 1 watt second of energy in that usable time period (less the poor efficiency of incandescent filaments).

The SB-800 flash is about 75 watt seconds at any shutter speed.
    This is more than 6 f/stops more light, the difference in f/2 and f/16. Add a couple more stops for the efficiency difference too.

This is why flash is used for cameras.

Even if you had 1000 watts of continuous light, at 1/100 second that is only 1000x1/100 = 10 watt seconds. That may roughly compare to the camera's little built in flash power, but would still be roughly 3 f/stops less light than the larger SB-800 flash.

4. Bubble

Bubble

Nov 3, 2007
    Anaheim, CA
    i guess OP want to use it in place where Flash is not allow like Church. I'm using Sima SL-20LX. You can get it from ebay. They don't use AA battery. Just plug in to charge and use it. I have 6 of them and it works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sima-SL-20L...ries?hash=item5d25b132d1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

5. Wileec

Wileec Guest

OP gave no context for why - so no way for any of us to know that, unless it's stated.

If, indeed, it's in the context of taking inside shots with no flash, then it's time for fast glass. I recently shot a rodeo with my 85mm f/1.8 and while I would have preferred to use my 70-200mm (it wasn't allowed), the 85mm did a pretty decent job. And similarly, I've used the 50mm f/1.8 and you can get one of those for a lot less than a decent flash, or a small army of video lights. Further, I would think that that small army of lights would be equally distracting/inappropriate, if not more so, than a quick flash.

When no flash, fast glass and monopod/tripod is the best solution, or careful bracing on a pew, as the case may be.

EDIT: I note that the OP already has a D700, D3, and a small army of fast glass. They have the gear they need to shoot with existing light - perhaps they need to develop the skill.

6. Bubble

Bubble

Nov 3, 2007
    Anaheim, CA
    actually, the video light is not distracting/inappropriate because videographer use for their equipment anyway. Ofcourse, you can always bump iso to the max with D3 but if i don't have to bump my iso up, i prefer to keep low iso. There are lots of wedding photographers start using video light in church nowadays.

You have to keep in mind that you can't moving your tripod/monopod around in church all the time. The mobility to move your camera around is important to get certain important shot.

7. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I understand the dynamics - and have shot in those circumstances - with less camera - without monopod/tripod and dealing with far more motion - and still getting decent shots. I have yet to see a video light that I didn't find as distracting as a flashlight - and, as already stated, it's doubtful a single video light will get the job done. And - you, more or less confirmed that - you rely on six of them. That has to be more distracting than a single flash, or shooting existing light. Different strokes for different folks.

We each work to the standard we call ourselves to - and use what works for us. If it works for you, go for it. It seems more like duck tape and bailing wire to me, compared to wise use of flash, or shooting with existing light.

8. Bubble

Bubble

Nov 3, 2007
    Anaheim, CA
    oh no..i didn't say i rely on six of them. I bought 6 total becaus of the good deal. I only need one to get the shot done. In some rare case that i have to shot in near total darkness, i use 3. They can attach together and for sure, it ain't duck tape or bailing wire. lolz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ofcourse, there is doubt about the real benefit of "real flash". Again, i'm assuming OP asking this question regarding situation that he can't use flash in certain place like church. However, if he try to get the video light to save out on getting a real flash then it is a total different story here. :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  9. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Well - as in all things dealing with light - the specifics of a scene, the kind of shot we intend to capture, the tools we have, and our skill in using those tools, all play a part in the options we work with.

10. Greetings:

For what you are looking for one might want to check these folks out.

http://www.litepanels.com/lp/products/micropro.html

Good Luck

Doug

11. D300fan

D300fan

Mar 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm not looking to replace my speed lights with a video light, rather I'm looking for usage in dim scenes or as special effects. I took a seminar some months ago held by Clay Blackmore, and during the seminar we were introduced to the premier photographer from Russia. He and Clay were heading out to California to shoot a wedding. This photographers sole use of lighting was video lights and prime lenses...his work was incredible! Although this is not my goal, I would like the option for lighting.

Regards
    G

12. Bubble

Bubble

Nov 3, 2007
    Anaheim, CA
    G,

as of right now, only 2 that work great are sima and litepanel. The only different between those 2 are:

1. Price (litepanel: $190 range vs $40)
    2. you can move the litepanel up/down and put gel on it.

Both have same color temperature.

13. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Might want to double check the price on the LitePanel products, as it depends on the model and vendor - I saw prices approaching $480 for the pro model. I didn't price the smaller unit.

14. Red Bicycle

Red Bicycle

May 13, 2008
    Australia
    I followed a video operator at a wedding I was asked to photograph discretly at (no flash) with my 50 f1.4 and used his lighting to get some good candids. It certainly seemed to work and I thought at the time how good it would be to pop his CLS on my camera.

I think LED's are going to change the lighting landscape in the future.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.