1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Video of some of the common birds at Reifel Bird Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Beagledog, May 21, 2019.

1. Hi All,

Georgie and I have put together a short video on some of the birds of spring that can be found at the Reifel Bird Sanctuary outside of Vancouver, B.C.

Love to have your thoughts and critique of the video with an eye to re-edit to make it better.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" I did the editing as they don't let dogs in to shoot the birds.... I wonder why???" - Georgie Beagle

• Like Like x 2
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken

Jan 12, 2018
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I loved it! The music was perfect and well matched. And I greatly appreciated that you did not cut from scene to scene every few seconds as is the trend among many things video these days. Now I want to pay a visit to the sanctuary. Are there better times of the year for visiting?

--Ken

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Extremely well done! Nice selection of music. My husband does video, and it sometimes takes a lot of time to pick the "right" music to accompany the video.

I particularly like how STILL the video camera was. Thus the video isn't bouncing around and detracting from the subjects. Transitions were smooth and well timed...not too abrupt and not too slow. Judicious use of zooming.....I believe only once about 3 minutes into the video. All in all, I say "Well done!"

4. Thanks for your kind words Karen,

Yes, music is so important, I really go towards the classical, but the music must fit the mood you want.

Yes, steady images, I have a secret weapon: TRIPOD.... I almost always shoot on a tripod when I am shooting video. The warp stabilizers and in body stabilization bends the image in an unnatural way.

Yes, I really find less is more in the zoom department. when I was young and shooting video on VHS.... My photographer mom would always say: "it is not a trombone, so quit zooming all the time..." so I don't often zoom or pan unless it adds to the scene.

Thanks for the kind words Ken, Yes, everybody does a 5 sec cut now a days, I find it a bit of a pain so I try to make my scenes interesting enough to allow longer takes. Some of the stuff on TV these days can be used as a 5 second timer.....

Cheers,

"music makes the emotion in video" - Georgie Beagle

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    LOL! My husband does a lot of video on our trips and works VERY hard at his narrations. However, he LOVES to zoom in and out....and HATES to use a tripod! LOL! Slowly but surely I am getting him to use his tripod more and more. Zooming, however, seems to be in his DNA! :( 

6. Smart woman, your Mum!I found the video very relaxing with enough variety to keep me awake.

7. I loved it. You did a fantastic job!!

8. Excellent video. Nice music too. Entertaining for sure.

9. Hi Karen,

Tripods, yes tripods, they are a pain and heavy to drag around so I agree with your husband, but unfortunately, I hate giggly video more so I suffer. Nikon lent me a Z6 for a couple of days to give it a try; it is excellent for video and the IBIS is really quite good and you can often hold a scene still enough to be good. zooming? the only cure I know is fixed focal length lenses..... :) ;) :) 

Narration... I would love to narrate these but I am sufficiently dyslectic to not be able to read a script out loud without errors. We tried at work once and after 10 takes we got someone else to read the narration. I think narration is important to a video and it is good that your husband puts in the effort.

Yes, she was, she taught me everything I know about photography and composition. Nick, thanks for the kind words about the video

Thanks Terri, I was wondering if people would like it as it is a bit different as to what you see these days on YouTube...

Thanks, Bobby.

Cheers,

"I would narrate but then only beagles would understand it." - Georgie Beagle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.