1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

video on the D90

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by fks, Aug 5, 2008.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    per thom hogan:

"Live View now has a twist that other DSLRs can't currently claim: it can record video (thus the microphone grill)."

he also mentions an 18-105mm VR DX lens.

ricky

2. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

another disappointing lens.

3. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    WHo cares about the video! If I need a video I'll buy a VideoCam. The main question is , - WILL IT HAVE INTERNAL MOTOR or NOT ????
    18-105 VR is nice, but why not 18-135 VR or 16-105 VR ? Unless it is 18-105 f4. VR. That will be great!

4. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I'm not "excited" about video, but I won't be disappointed in it if it's decent.

As long as the D90 has everything the D80 has plus the D300 screen and sensor for around $800 (body only) I'm on board. Bonuses would include the new Auto-focus system, metering for AI-S, and a sensor cleaner.

If they remove the optional grip, AF motor, or flash commander mode it won't be an option for me.

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I can't wait for the new 18-105mm VR DX lens!

Oh, and the upcoming Nikon APS-sensor Coolpix compact.

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    that's exactly what everybody said about the 16-85VR and it's actually turned out to be quite a good lens.

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    not everybody :) 

8. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    18-105 VR could be good opticaly, but the range is "disappointing."

9. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Anybody know if this new lens is another polycarbonate mount or steel? My guess is polycarb.

10. As others have pointed out, the 18-105 fills a gaping hole in Nikon's lineup. It seems however that they are coming up against the limits of the DX format. Their only remaining option is an 18-155 with the D90 replacement. After that they will have to go radical --- 18-225, 18-250, and an "end of the roadmap" 18-300. After that we will see a FF consumer body, and Nikon is in business again: 12-35, 12-45, 12-55, 12-70, 12-105, 12-135...

As others, I am FAR more interested in the mount and metering system than the video crap. Hopefully the D80 form factor implies screw drive support and we get something other than the dreadful D40/D60/D80 metering system.

11. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    16-85VR is outrageously overpriced for what it is. Those extra 2mm on the wide end sure cost a whole lot more than an 18-70. We've seen from the 18-55VR and 55-200VR that VR is NOT expensive to add to a lens. Hopefully an 18-105VR will be priced much as the 18-70 was back when it was released with the D70 :smile:

12. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I'd have to disagree here, as I've used the 18-70 and that lens needed to be stopped down a bit to be sharp, whereas the 16-85VR is razor sharp wide open. Not to mention the horrid distortion on the wide end of the 18-70. The VR system on the 16-85VR also works quite a bit better than the one on the 18-55VR, as it allows for sharp pics even at 1/10 s at all focal lengths, which the other VR lenses can't do.

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I'm excited about the D90 video capabilities. I wonder if it has an unlimited buffer? Would it support 1080p recording? I don't want to shell out $$$ for a Red, and this might be the ticket.

14. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Thom's claiming that it'll capture 1080p video, which means that it's going to fill cards extremely quickly or Nikon is going to add some serious processing horsepower to compress 1080p to something manageable.

Thom's write up seems to be the only real info going right now. And by "real info" I mean well written rumor.

15. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    I can't see Thom saying anything about 1080p...

16. If you read Thom's posts on DPR, you will see that at no time does he say it will RECORD 1080p. In one of the posts he explicitly points out that he never said that, but leaves it open what the recording capability will be. My guess is that it will OUTPUT 1080p, so when you look at pics on a HD television set they don't look quite as dreadful as with the current crop of cameras.

This video thing is dominating the discussion way too much. Are people here and on DPR really excited by that? Sure, it is "novel", but are we not all into the still photography hobby/business? How many times have you shot video with your Canon P&S? I can think of maybe two times in five years. If they add size/weight/cost/reduced battery life to give me video, then I don't want it. If they can reduce size/weight/cost/improve battery life by leaving out video, than this is what I want them to do. Oh well...

17. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    But with the limited DoF, better low-light performance, lens-based VR, and 1080p capability of a DSLR, it takes video capture into near cinema quality. The Canon P&S video capability wouldn't even come close. And I've used prosumer digital video cameras and those can barely do 640x480 sharply. So there is hope that the D90 can compete against those $60,000+ professional video cameras. At least we can hope :) 

18. Give us some new primes and a 24-105 f4 FFS.

19. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Focus motor

You had a bad copy, but that is beside the point.

Given that Thom suggests the form factor is no different than that of the D80, I'd say that would suggest that a focus motor is present.

I hope ...

20. As a D80 replacement I would assume the D90 will add features, not take away. In-camera lens motor, 11-point focus, etc. will continue. If they do indeed add better dynamic range, more conservative matrix metering, and faster frame rate then I'll be first in line to get one.

Many D80 users already have some sort of lens kit and many of those lenses are non-AF-S. Nikon would be foolish to omit the onboard motor drive, that's what the low-priced, D60/D40 entry level cameras are for.

I wonder if my brother can still return his Canon 30D, I think the D80 would suite him better...;-).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.