1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nu2scene, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:12 PM.

1. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I've been asked a few times if I shoot video. I have to say, I've never shot any video at all. I was wondering if anyone does shoot video, and if so what gear are you using?

I currently have a D800, would using that be any good at this point? Or would I be better off getting something else? Are DSLR's better than a dedicated video type system or worse?

I have basically no knowledge of video at this point, and just looking for some quick pointers.

Thanks.

2. It really depends on what you need for video. For instance, if you need continuous auto-focus, Nikon DSLRs are about the worst choice possible. Nikon Z6 mirrorless is best in this regard on Nikon, plus it has IBIS stabilization if you need to shoot hand held. An EVF is very desirable as well, especially in bright sunlight.

Sony and Canon are best at continuous auto-focus, but Panasonic has better stabilization. It really is all about what you need for the video you want to capture, and whether you'll be grading in post, as to what the best rig will be for you.

I use Panasonic for video as I think it is the best bang for the buck.

3. I second the comment about video AF with a Nikon DSLR, at least the ones I have (D7100, D750). I use a dedicated camcorder (Sony FDR-AX33), but not for anything commercial.

4. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Basically it would be for interview type setups. It would have two people either sitting or stsnding and talking back and forth.

I haven't shot any video up till now, and have no idea about post processing software.

5. The D800 would be a great set up for that - you don't need to worry about the AF shortcomings and you can get a nice cinematic look with Nikon glass. As a bonus, the D800 gives clean, uncompressed HDMI output so you can record for hours to an external recorder, like the ones Atomos makes. For editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro but you can get free software as well.

Sean

• Like Like x 1
  6. You are referencing DaVinci Resolve. I only do occasional video editing with Adobe Premiere Elements but am interested in furthering my knowledge in this area. Most of the recent PE upgrades have not introduced new techniques but rather more automation and social media type things so I haven't bothered. It appears that Resolve would be a more powerful program, and it's really free?

7. It is free - here's a good breakdown of what it does vs. a paid app like Premiere Pro: DaVinci Resolve 15 is a free, Hollywood-grade video editor

8. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Very intereting! Thanks for the information.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.