Video

I've been asked a few times if I shoot video. I have to say, I've never shot any video at all. I was wondering if anyone does shoot video, and if so what gear are you using?

I currently have a D800, would using that be any good at this point? Or would I be better off getting something else? Are DSLR's better than a dedicated video type system or worse?

I have basically no knowledge of video at this point, and just looking for some quick pointers.

Thanks.

It really depends on what you need for video. For instance, if you need continuous auto-focus, Nikon DSLRs are about the worst choice possible. Nikon Z6 mirrorless is best in this regard on Nikon, plus it has IBIS stabilization if you need to shoot hand held. An EVF is very desirable as well, especially in bright sunlight.

Sony and Canon are best at continuous auto-focus, but Panasonic has better stabilization. It really is all about what you need for the video you want to capture, and whether you'll be grading in post, as to what the best rig will be for you.

I use Panasonic for video as I think it is the best bang for the buck.

Basically it would be for interview type setups. It would have two people either sitting or stsnding and talking back and forth.

I haven't shot any video up till now, and have no idea about post processing software.

Basically it would be for interview type setups. It would have two people either sitting or stsnding and talking back and forth.

I haven't shot any video up till now, and have no idea about post processing software.
The D800 would be a great set up for that - you don't need to worry about the AF shortcomings and you can get a nice cinematic look with Nikon glass. As a bonus, the D800 gives clean, uncompressed HDMI output so you can record for hours to an external recorder, like the ones Atomos makes. For editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro but you can get free software as well.

Sean

For editing, I use Adobe Premiere Pro but you can get free software as well.
You are referencing DaVinci Resolve. I only do occasional video editing with Adobe Premiere Elements but am interested in furthering my knowledge in this area. Most of the recent PE upgrades have not introduced new techniques but rather more automation and social media type things so I haven't bothered. It appears that Resolve would be a more powerful program, and it's really free?

You are referencing DaVinci Resolve. I only do occasional video editing with Adobe Premiere Elements but am interested in furthering my knowledge in this area. Most of the recent PE upgrades have not introduced new techniques but rather more automation and social media type things so I haven't bothered. It appears that Resolve would be a more powerful program, and it's really free?
It is free - here's a good breakdown of what it does vs. a paid app like Premiere Pro: DaVinci Resolve 15 is a free, Hollywood-grade video editor

Thank you for all the information! Not even looking into video till now, it does seem overwhelming at first. I've been doing a bit of reserach and watching some videos, and it's strating to make a little more sense to me.

I have a quick question about adobe premier pro. If you're already on the adobe photographers CC LR and PS package, can you just add premier pro? Or do you have to jump to the full package for $52 a month? Not sure I could justify paying $52 every month to just use premier now and again.

Davinci also looks like a huge deal for free! Might just go with that. Still looking around at options.

Thanks for all the help.

Depends on how much horsepower you have. Premier and Final cut can create low Rez proxies for editing, which is necessary on my machine for 4k. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall that feature is missing from the free version of Resolve.

If you're just looking to dabble in video to see if you want to pursue it further, Premiere Elements might be more suitable. It's a one-time cost and is a fairly capable program with a lot of features that should keep you busy for quite a while. Following Sean's suggestion, I have begun learning Resolve. Yes, there is a free version but the learning curve is a bit steeper than Premiere Elements. If you're on a Mac, iMovie is also free.

By the way, I heard an interview on NPR this weekend that pointed out that a "steep learning curve" actually implies quick learning (large increase in learning for a given amount of effort) but we use it to mean the opposite.

Last edited:
The D800 worked out just fine. I got a cheap lav mic and it seems to be adaquate for now. I settled with imovie for now. I didn't have to buy or download any new software, and I'm not advanced enough to need very much, so for now it's working out fine. I'll probably start looking into Davinci though.

I know I'm only just doing quick simple few minute videos, not using any advanced features, but in a way videos are easier than retouching images. You don't spend a lot of time on just one image, and pretty much what I start off with is what I end up with in video. Which before I started, I thought would have been the exact opposite. I'll bet though, that once you start in with all the special effects and complex time lines, it can quickly get out of hand.

Thank you everyone for your help in getting me started!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom