Viera Hawk series

Well, since my pelican shots drew not a single response ( :oops: ) maybe I'll try again with a different subject. ;)

Coming around the corner, I see this perched up in the tree
072405Hawk.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He stayed there for a bit but then took off flying over my head. I ran to the other side of the berm to see where he went. Just as I got over there I saw him fly to the ground and under some small trees. I got down low and kinda crawled to find him...
072405Hawk1.jpg

Practically lying on the ground under a tree, I see him jump and looked like he pounced on something.
072405Hawk2.jpg

He quickly hopped further under the tree then looked around to see if the coast was clear
072405Hawk3.jpg

I can see his head bobbing up and down. Ewwwww, what is that?
072405Hawk4.jpg

OMG...he caught a frog! I only include this one because I thought it was funny with his legs sticking out of his mouth! ;)
072405Hawk5.jpg

Once he finished, he flew back over to the fence and rested while his frog digested, I guess. Looks like he's saying "You next?"
072405Hawk6.jpg

Not sure what kind of hawk this is, I'm terrible with raptor ids. Maybe a red shoulder hawk?? Don't know. Any ideas?

Cool series, Kevin! Nice narrative to go along with it. I'm also not very good at raptor ID, but I'm sure someone out there will have a solid ID for you.

Cool Kevin,
I'm still mad at you :>))))) J/K

good work.

Pelicans were just okkkkkk :>))))

Excellent series Kevin. Great shots and entertaining narrative. What more could one ask for? 8)

Been busy evaluating lenses, shooting bugs and flowers, and processing, so I haven't seen your Pelican series yet. I'll go comment on it right now. :wink:

Thanks all! I must have over 100 shots of this guy. Gordon, I agree, that last pose was one of my favorites. Took quite a few of him there as he was back lit and I was low, I had to keep going higher to try to get greenery behind his head. They turned out pretty good. I was surprised at how sharp the 1st one turned out though as it was handheld @ 300 + 1.4x!

Sorry to beg for attention re: pelicans. I didn't want to be so obvious as to do a self-promoting bump so I figured I'd be discreet about it in this message. ;) Gale you're a meanie....I was really happy with my pelicans. Been wanting to shoot them for many weeks now. I promise I'll call you next time. (Might be tomorrow...depending on weather)

Latest threads

Top Bottom