1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Viera

Discussion in 'Merritt Island VI' started by Backdoctor, Feb 12, 2009.

1. this year I ended up going one day only, to viera. Went with my dad and SteveS. We met up with Gale and later on Harry. It started off cloudy, lousy light, but the sun eventually came out. Here are a few shots from my day there.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

my eagle shots were not that great, and no spoonies this year. I'll try to get to Merritt, its been a while since I was there. Maybe next year I can participate more.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent set Harris. Glad that you were able to make it up (and I wish that I could have made it down :rolleyes: ).

3. These are wonderful, as we have come to expect from you.

A few of us amateurs would appreciate identifications of these if you have time. I recognize a few, but not most.

Thanks for posting.

4. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Great stuff Harris. I have not posted in awhile, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to let you know that these shots are absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Joe

5. Very nice. Like the caracaras best (maybe because I didn't get any shot of them at MI6).

6. Harris - great images! All appear razor sharp. Whish I could have made it this year

7. Frank,

It didnt feel the same without you, Andreas, and Mike. I hope we can all hit it together again next year.

Pa,

The first one is of male Hooded Merganser's, the second are juvenile great blue herons, the third is a Crested Cara Cara, the fourth is a nest of two baby Anhinga's with an adult, the fifth is an adult Crested Cara Cara, the sixth is a Little green heron, the next one is my favorite to shoot - a Sandhill Crane, and finally another Anhinga.

I shot with the D300 and 400 f2.8 with a 1.7x tc on a gitzo 1325 with wimberley, and the D2Xs with 300 f4 with and without 1.4x tc handheld from the car or standing. If you see 950mm focal length on the exif, that is that is the 400 with 1.7x tc, for some reason it doesnt say 680mm as it should.

Joe,

Thanks so much, if you make it down here let me know, we can hit Loxahatchee NWR. There is a LOT of stuff there to see, but it involves humping it, no cars....

Alex,

We HAVE to get together to do some shooting. I have been getting out more. I had a lot of stuff going on with my dads place, and still have my plate full, but getting out to shoot helps keep me out of the looney bin...

Gonzo,

I barely made it myself, and I live down here. Thanks so much. Hope we meet up at next years shoot.

8. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Beautiful Grabs Of Some Of The Coolest Birds I've Seen!

9. Very good series Harris. I like them all. I didn't see much of the Caracaras this year but you sure did well catching them.

Sorry I missed you guys this year - I was there early in the week.

Don

10. Pretty good for a single day's shooting, Harris!
    Enjoyed your pics.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

11. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Harris, that hoody shot is CLASSIC!

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding captures Harris. Sorry that I had to leave so early that day.

13. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Nice work on a short schedule Harris. Sorry I missed you. I totally missed those pretty Hoodies.

14. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Wonderful series. The Hoodies played hard to get for me --- stayed out i the middle of the cells for the most part.

15. thanks all for the kind words. Hope to be there more next year, and get to see you all again.

16. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Beautiful set of images. I'm expecially fond of the Hoodies. They were quite shy on the days I was at Viera; they tended to stay way out in the middle of the cells.

17. An absolutely stunning set of images Harris, sorry I missed getting there is this.

18. Thanks Dave and Louie

Louie, I pretty much missed most of it. I went one day with Steve Shive. Hope to catch you next time.

19. mattcham

mattcham Guest

Impressive collection. Probably the best caracara captures I've seen this year!

20. thanks Matthew!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.