Vietnam Memorial

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gmaker1, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Here is an image of the local Vietnam Memorial in Rochester, New York. Shooting information:

28 mm lens, Aperture Priority, Spot metered, 1/5 sec, F/16, Exposure comp -0.3, iso 200, white balance - auto

Would like comments and critique.

Thanks,
    Gil

2. Gil,
    The composition is outstanding. the curved walkway is a tour for the eye. What threw me and may be throwing others is the title. there is no memorial in this image. Exposure is excellent for a late day shot.
    dave

3. Dave:

Each of the silver posts lists a name of an individual that died during the war. Our memorial is more of a walking tribute then just one large stone. Also, thanks for the comments.

Gil

4. Gil, I don't really care for the 'peering through the railings' as this is only the view of a child, not a normal view of an adult. Just doesn't work for me. I think with the subject matter, the foliage, the winding path, you could get a better composition/perspective there. You have memorial stanchions which could give a great pic with careful DOF. My two cents' worth.

5. Gil,
    From what I can see, this site has great possibilities. The waving lines are an invitation to creativity. The lighting that you used is spot-on, very attractive.
    The vertical bars however seem to hold me back. It is as if they keep me from going further into the image. I hope you will explore the memorial some more in a way that it takes the viewer through those wonderful curves.

Thanks for posting, I hope to see more from you of the memorial.

6. Sandy and Frits:

Thanks for the comments. I do have some images that match what the two of you suggest. I will post them soon and hopefully get your feed back on those.

Gil

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gil :

I didn't weigh in earlier on this shot, because I wanted to think about a reasoned and constructive C&C. I've looked at the photo on perhaps six different occasions now to try and gain perspective on my thoughts.

I like the composition concept of this shot, with the rails echoing the verticals in the monument, but I've been troubled with the execution. After pondering this, I believe that my thoughts run towards the relative exposures of the two subjects, as well as the DOF used. I'll explain in more detail below.

With respect to the exposure, you've nailed the railing and to a reasonable degree, the monument below. However, I think that I'd have preferred making the railing less accessible, perhaps more of a silhouette, and gaining further exposure of the monument. This composition currently has two subject areas, near and far, and this detracts from the far subject, IMO. The railing, with the exposures in place, becomes a subject and not a framing device. I'm unsure if you intended this effect.

As well, I'd prefer having the monument in stronger light (if that's possible - I don't know the orientation of the monument with respect to the sun). This would make the monument the dominant subject, and the railing would then work as a framing device more effectively.

On the DOF, I can see that you were trying to gain a comparison with the railing and the monument, and hence the shot is stopped down to f/16. This would have worked if the monument had more prominence in exposure (see above), or if the railing wasn't getting some low sunlight/reflectance which with this DOF again makes this less of a framing device and more of a primary subject.

I think that this is an ambitious photo you've taken, and it's likely to be a spot that you return to in the future. I have several spots around Santa Fe that I've been shooting for a long time without hitting anywhere near to my intention in my shots (and as a result, I've never posted them... :Tongue: ), but I keep going back. We all find locations to "work with" and after some period of time (and many shots) finally have an "overnight success photo".

So, please don't take these comments as net negatives, as I sincerely think that you're on the road to a highly evocative and powerful photograph. I'll be looking forward to seeing other versions of this shot.

John P.

8. John:

Thanks for the critique. I would never take anything in a negative coming form you. I was trying to do the following for a class I am taking: create a dynamic three-dimensional effect - with a wide-angle focal length - by combining foreground details with far-off views. The memorial in the distance was not my objective when I took the image, the trees in the backfgound were. But with yours and other commnets, I am going to go back one day and try this again. I think you are right that there is a better image to be taken, and still use the railing as a frame. I think it is great that others looking at an image can bring out a whole different idea then the one first used.

Thanks,
    Gil

Let's see up to three WIDE-ANGLE PHOTOS in which you

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gil :

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my opinions.

Yah, the classic "near/far" technique requires a lot of practice to nail down cleanly. I'm still trying shots out to get a good handle on that one. Sometimes, the near objects take image dominance, other times the far objects do, and in either case, the "long view" or 3-D effect isn't what we want.

As for specific locations, many of the war and veterans memorials around the country, and the world for that matter, are iconic and amazing, making them exquisite and emotional photographic subjects. Capturing that emotion adroitly is an illusive target for me, and I'm still working very hard at it without the successes I'd like. It's a goal of sorts to be able to land those kinds of shots consistently for me.

Seeing the "above view" of the memorial, I wonder how a low, even ground level shot would work with dawn or sunset light ? The lines of the vertical elements in the memorial might be stronger. Just a thought - if I get to your part of the country sometime (but it's not on the agenda right now, sadly), maybe we'll shoot it together.

I'll look forward to more images from the near/far approach from you. I think your "eye" for this stuff is showing improvement shot to shot.

John P.